Chapter Three

Eli throws a duffel bag into the back of the rented pick up truck parked at the entrance to the slums. She glances to her watch and sighs. It's Friday, and she's given Bruce plenty of time to join her if he was going to, she honestly didn't really think he would, he doesn't seem like the camping, hiking sort. He seems more the sort to belong in an office or something. She flicks her hair over her shoulder and then pulls it up into a ponytail before reaching for the car door handle.

"Hey" Bruce greets behind her, Eli turns to him, he smile sheepishly. "Sorry I'm late....I didn't know what to pack" he admits, she smirks a little and holds out her hand for his bag. He hands it over and she sets it in the flat bed.

"I'm glad you came" she tells him, a softness sneaking into her tone. He smiles softly at her, she clears her throat and looks away. "Get in" she pats the side of the truck and climbs in herself, Bruce moves around it and climbs in the opposite side. He glances to her as she pushes dark tinted sunglasses over her eyes and starts the ancient truck which chugs to life.

...............

Bruce and Eli have been walking for almost two hours, he honestly thought she'd stick to the trail, but of course she hasn't, he doesn't know why he thought she would, this is a woman that has proven to be the opposite of every other woman he's ever met. She's sarcastic and brooding, often quick to anger, even more so then he is, she prefers to pretend she doesn't care about anything, even if she does deep down, she doesn't believe she's intelligent when Bruce knows she's shown more wisdom then most scientists he's met. And she's comfortable with her body, not meany women he's met like everything about the way they look, by Eli doesn't seem to have any issues. Bruce picks up his pace a little to reach her side.

"I've heard there might be wolves out here" Bruce tells Eli as he walk at her side, she looks to him and smirks.

"Did you actually do research before we came out here?" she asks, he shrugs a little and then nods.

"Yeah, I did" he admits, she smiles a little. "You're not worried about them?" Bruce asks.

"They won't bother us" she assures him. "Plus it's only the Maned wolf out here" she offers. "They are more likely to flee then attack humans"

"Why?" he asks, she looks to him.

"They're a shy species" she tells him. "More like foxes then actual wolves" she offers. "Solitary, even mated pairs don't live together" she sniffs the air a little and looks around. "They're not actually even wolves" she looks to him. "They're so unique they have their own genus" she looks around and spies one ahead of them. "Here" She grabs his hand and pulls him forward into the bushes, Bruce looks to their joint hands and then to her face. He turns following her eyes to where a Maned Wolf is walking slowly through the long grass of the clearing ahead. The animal turns it's head a little as if seeking them out. It then starts to make a noise in the back of it's throat, a roar-bark, Bruce stiffens and shifts, Eli touches his arm to stop him moving. "It's not a warning" she corrects. "It's a greeting"

"Greeting?" Bruce asks.

"It knows we're not here to hurt it" she offers. "It knows we're different"

"How do you know so much about animal behaviour?" he asks. "No offence" he adds quickly. "You just don't seem the type"

"Animals are sort of my thing" she answers. "Wolves specifically, I feel...connected to them" the animal looks across at them, eyes on Eli. "We could get closer" she offers.

"No" Bruce quickly tells her. "I'm good here" he tells her. "Or all the way back there" he motions behind them.

"He won't hurt us" she assures him.