Scene 5 - The laboratory's trap

The rest of the crew of the Paradox enter the magnificent laboratory and all its chemicals, controls and experiments. They investigate the tables with half a dozen experiments happening simultaneously, fire blowing out of Bunsen burners on fizzling, bubbling chemicals, carefully prepared instrumentations set and lit across the tables, especially a massive microscope for Sproggle to play with via its lenses, revealing the specification of a plant's cell. What is the most interesting however is the huge ergonomically simplified control settings at the heart of the chemical ground, decorated in reading tables, peppered buttons and switches and colour-labelled levers to pull and push in pumps circling across the lab and into the walls and deep, deep down underground. Magnus begins his next conduct of tour of his impressive laboratory.

Magnus:

Well... aren't you impressed?

Lyca:

I don't believe it in here.

Thrice:

Very impressive Professor Magnus. I'm astonished.

Sproggle:

What's this under the microscope Professor Magnus?

Magnus:

Oh, that my friend, that on the lit stage is a plant cell, containing all the necessary components for it to provide respiration.

Isambard:

Yes, yes Professor, you forget that I'm an engineer, not a scientist.

Magnus:

Ah yes, come this way, please.

They follow over to the control console and stare at it and the screen presented before them.

Roger:

What does that do Professor?

Magnus:

This is my mission. I am drilling through the crust of my planet and extracting all the minerals I need to provide a hospitable environment for myself here on Magnus thanks to the core's chemical properties. And for fascinating research purposes of course.

Walking Stick:

That explains the huge pumps outside then I take it.

Magnus:

Correct. This was the most suitable part of the planet to drill from of course, since the rest of it is mostly a barren desert. It's not all lonely here though, I have my research to keep myself occupied, and that's enough for me.

Lyca:

You have discovered much I see, my medical research might benefit from this. The drill must go down deep then down through this planet.

Magnus:

Indeed, over 100 miles, but I can control its activity with this control panel quite simply. Come to think of it, with the whole of the universe to explore, what brings you over to Magnus, if I may ask.

Thrice:

I suppose there is no harm in telling you, but we are searching the universe for Lavender Castle.

Isambard:

Erm... Back to your drill then Professor...

Magnus:

Lavender Castle? Sounds fascinating. Tell me more.

Thrice:

Lavender Castle is a floating castle in space, maintaining peace and light across the universe, if this power source is destroyed it will plunge the universe into eternal darkness and chaos. We have searched and protected Lavender Castle for years, we have travelled for weeks and weeks not landing on any planet only for some clue to lead us to Magnus.