Cloud - Second part

They went back to the village slowly, since Cloud was hurt. Mira wondered if it was male or female.

Leif was going back home, together with Elin: Mira saw Ruby in the sky, going home, while Marat turned to the waterfall.

He forced himself to focus on Cloud not to think about the annoying, unmotivated feeling that imagining Leif and Elin together made him feel. When they arrived at home, Leif was waiting outside.

- I saw you when I was arriving! Woah, Mira, you did it! I knew you would have done it! - he exclaimed, hugging him tight. Mira hugged him back, as he started feeling tired after walking a lot and having to win over the distrust of his dragon. - I'm so proud of you!

Leif's attention shifted to Cloud, that was observing them, waiting. The fire Dragontamer's eyes widened.

- A dragon... with feathers? I have never seen one! - he exclaimed, before noticing the blood on Cloud's feathers.

- I didn't hurt him, another dragon did - hurried to specify Mira.

The blonde nodded.

- It clearly is the bite of a dragon.

- How can I take care of him?

- Wait here.

The fire Dragontamer went inside his house and came back a while later with herbs, bandages and ointments.

- First we have to clean the wound with water, then we have to apply this ointment and bind it. You have to mix these herbs with his food, when you feed him, to soothe the pain - he explained in a practical tone. Mira petted his dragon's head.

- Do I have to feed him? - he asked. Cloud rubbed his head against his hand.

- Until he isn't healed, he won't be able to hunt - replied Leif. He grabbed a bucket full of water and a sponge and gave it to Mira. The boy cleaned gently the wound and applied the ointment, massaging the dragon's shoulder. Cloud didn't whine.

Leif helped him to bind his shoulder.

- Here we go. You'll have to check that it doesn't get torn. We'll change it tomorrow.

He scratched his head, then smiled.

- Does she have a name? It's a female.

- Cloud - answered Mira, blushing.

- Cloud? - repeated Leif, amused. The other Dragontamer shrugged. - Cloud. What a cute name.

Given by her as cute tamer. But he didn't voice that thought.

***

Cloud healed quickly, without ever tearing off her medication. Having to feed her everyday, her bond with Mira grew.

While she was in convalescence many people came to visit her: the Dragontamers, young and old, who couldn't believe that a feathered dragon existed, children, who cuddled her until she was exhausted, and other people attracted by the rumors.

Cloud was very patient, maybe excessively, and she didn't show any sign of having a special power to set off against those who harassed her: not fire nor water, not electricity or air, not ice nor plants.

- She's a pacifist, like me - would joke Mira, while showering her soft face with endless kisses.

- Is she, though? She was fighting with a dragon, the day you met her - would retort Leif to tease him, envious of all the cuddles the boy gave to the dragon. - And you were arrested, when you arrived, little criminal.

At that point Mira would glare at him, and the fire Dragontamer would ruffle his hair, chuckling.

Now that Cloud had healed she could feed herself, and she could be harnessed. Leif helped Mira to choose the right saddle, then gave him flying lessons.

- See? You put it on like that. Easy, right? Try it yourself, now. Good boy.

Cloud got used quickly to the saddle and to having a person on her back.

- I think you are ready to try flying. Ruby and I will stay next to you, so don't worry. We'll catch you.

Mira didn't laugh. He got on his dragon's back and ordered her to fly. Cloud obeyed immediately, almost unsaddling him with a cheerful take off.

Ruby and his tamer, still on the ground, observed them. Leif sighed. He wasn't ever going to forgive himself if something happened to Mira.

Since when I care so much about him?

- I'm fine! - shouted Mira, reassuring, and on his face a huge smile bloomed when the blonde reached him.

The fire Dragontamer felt his heart grow with that feeling he didn't want to name, and smiled back. They flew slowly side to side for a while, but Mira got bored and asked him to teach him some tricks.

And Leif thought that it was really too soon for those, but how could he say no to those big blue eyes, that sweet face?

He taught him to nosedive and to turn around on Cloud's back. Mira was ecstatic.

Yorick joined them, but Leif forbid him to teach Mira other tricks.

- It's enough for today - he said, shooting a menacing look at the air Dragontamer.

- But the cutie and I were having fun! - whined Yorick.

- You can have fun tomorrow. Let's go back home, Mira - replied Leif, inflexible.

- You big jealous boy! - laughed Yorick. And went back to his stunts with Lutfi.

They went back home.

- Are you jealous... of Yorick? - asked shyly Mira.

- I'm not jealous of anyone - clarified dryly Leif. He shook his head, almost as if he was trying to shake away his anger.

- So it's okay for you if I practice flying with him?

- Practice with whoever you want! - exclaimed Leif, before noticing that his reaction was exaggerated. - But don't get hurt.

Maybe Yorick was right. Maybe Leif was jealous.

Mira smiled and caressed his arm, before kissing him softly on the cheek.

- I think I'll be fine with keeping on practicing with the best Dragontamer of the island - he whispered. Then he went to take care of Cloud.

Leif followed him with his gaze, enchanted, and touched his own cheek where the boy's lips touched him.

He had to admit it: he was head over heels in love with Mira.

But Mira? He was playing with fire and wasn't aware of it, in his innocence. And Leif, he wasn't sure of being able to tame his fire. He had to learn to, though, if for Mira that was just a game, not to end up with a broken heart.