Love matters

Mira had been living now for a long time at the village and he had settled in without problems. He had become very good at carving little statues of dragons, but also of other animals and people. With Leif he sometimes sold them on market days.

When he didn't carve or fish, he worked as Rorik's assistant. He was still learning to recognize the plants, but Rorik was a very patient teacher.

- Leif and Elin... - began one day Mira, while tidying the herbs on the shelves, helped by Little Tree, Flower and Leaf.

Rorik looked up from the paper he was writing on and gave him a questioning look.

- Are they not in good terms? Every time they meet... there's more electricity between them than in Illiya's body.

The Dragontamer scratched his chin and sighed quietly.

- Elin is Leif's ex girlfriend - he said, leaning on the counter. He closed his eyes for a moment, like he was thinking. - Leif was... super in love with her. And she broke his heart.

Mira felt a bit of pity for the fire Dragontamer. Poor Leif, he thought.

- Poor Leif - he whispered, feeling sorry for him. Rorik nodded.

- It was very hard for him... - he hesitated, unsure whether to shut up or to continue. - But you have been a breath of newness, for everyone but more importantly for him. Ever since you have arrived he seems to be feeling better.

The boy blushed.

- Oh - he replied, happy. Rorik smiled with kindness.

- Are you finished with those? Let's go talk outside, it's a nice day.

They moved to the back shop, where Bosko was napping peacefully. His tamer sat with his back against the dragon's stomach and invited his assistant to sit next to him.

Mira obeyed without hesitation; he wasn't scared anymore of dragons. He got attached to Charcoal, that so much reminded him of his Cocco, he was friends with Little Tree, Flower and Leaf and often Leif asked him to help him wash Ruby and sometimes even to check his teeth.

On the other hand, dragons were comfortable around Mira, even if it was the first time they met him.

- And... you and Lynae? Have you been together for long? - he asked. Rorik smiled even more.

- Yes, we started dating a bit after they got together. They stayed together for a long time, but...

- But?

- It was predictable that they were going to break up. I mean, Elin is an extraordinary Dragontamer, like Leif, but her priority has always been Marat. When Leif was with her, nothing and no one else existed. I have absolutely nothing against making your dragon your priority, Artemisia did it too and her dragon is the only company she needs, I'm just saying that Elin shouldn't have played with Leif's feelings... - Rorik shook his head and sighed. - How about you, Mira? Have you ever been in love?

His assistant blushed hard.

- M-me? N-no, I don't think so...

The Dragontamer chuckled, moved.

- Not in love with a pretty girl... or a handsome boy. Also because if on your island lived just you with your family... no, I mean... with life. In love with the waves that crash on the sand, with the sun that caresses your face at dawn, with the breeze in your hair, with being alive.

Mira stopped a moment to think.

- Then yes, I think so - he answered shyly. - After losing everything, I lost also a bit of that love for life. But I'm falling in love again, slowly, with each day that passes, and it's also thanks to you.