Chapter 6: De Quincey

Start from the beginning

  I smile, winking. "I could please you with my blood."

  Will's head spins to my direction, and I bring a hand to my neck, tracing down to the point at my collarbone where my pulse beats.

  De Quincey's eyes light up. "A bite from a Shadowhunter is always the sweetest."

  "De Quincey—" Tessa starts, and I hear faint fear in her voice.

  "Go ahead," I say tilting my head to the side.

  De Quincey grins and takes a glass and an awl from a subjugate. Alexei lifts the glass and presses it against my throat, drawing the sharp tip across the skin of my throat. Blood flows into the cup as I feel a sting. I don't usually let vampires drink my blood.

  When the glass is half full, a thin brown hand reaches out and lightly pushes the glass away.

  "That's enough, de Quincey."

  I look up to see Magnus, standing at my side protectively.

  Alexei looks slightly disappointed, but he brings the glass up to his lips.

  "Pleasure talking to you, Camille. And you too, Eleanora," Alexei says, and stalks off.

  I hear Tessa let out an exhalation.

  I turn and see Camille's pale face, and beside her Will is watching me, seemingly stunned.

  "What were you thinking, letting him take your blood like that?" Magnus demands, and my head snaps to the side to face him as he hands me a piece of cloth to wipe the blood.

  "Magnus," I grin, taking it and wiping off any evidence of blood from my neck.

  Magnus shakes his head. "Foolish girl."

  "You have hurt me, Magnus," I say mockingly.

Magnus jerks his head towards the far side of the room. "Come along, then. There's a private room where we can talk."

I let Tessa walk ahead, Will at her side. I follow behind, slightly slower.

Magnus reaches the door and produces a small key. He unlocks the door swiftly and steps inside. Will and Tessa follow, me finally disappearing inside after, shutting the door firmly behind me.

Magnus snaps his fingers and twin fires leap up in the fireplaces on either side of the room. The flames of the fire is blue, and the fire itself has a strong scent, like burning joss sticks.

"Oh!" Tessa exclaimed, shocked.

With a grin, Magnus flings himself onto the great marble-topped table in the center of the room, and lays down on his side, his head propped on his hand. "Have you never seen a warlock do magic before?"

  Will gives an exaggerated sigh. "Please refrain from teasing her, Magnus. I expect Camille told you she knows very little of the Shadow World."

"Indeed," Magnus says unrepentantly, "but it's hard to believe, considering what she can do," He continues, his eyes on Tessa. "I saw your face when I kissed your hand. You knew who I was immediately, didn't you? You know what Camille knows. There are some warlocks and demons who can shift—take on any shape. But I have never heard of one who could do what you do."

"Magnus," I say warningly. "Now isn't the time."

"Me and you are going to have a chat after this about you offering vampires your blood," Magnus says sternly, turning his attention to me. He flicks his hand in my direction. The wound instantly heals.