“What are you humming?” Jesse asks suddenly.

I squint up at him, a light from an apartment complex above us glaring in my sight. “Horror movie music.”

Jesse raises an eyebrow, but chooses not to comment. “So, which way?"

"Mhmm..." Commanding my nose to toughen up, I point to the left. 

We start on our trek, loudly, I might add, because Jesse is an absolute klutz in weak lighting. 

It messes with your depth perception! he claims on the fifth fallen rubbish bin he doesn't see.

"We're kind of metaphorical fugitives right now," I hiss. "It might do us good to keep quiet!"

Jesse opens his mouth to argue, but my hand snaps up, indicating he should shut his mouth. I tilt my head to the side, listening again. 

It's the unmistakable click of a gun being turned off its safety. 

«What is it?» Jesse asks, unmoving.

My eye catches on a girl peeping out from an incoming alleyway. 

«Likely something that will waste us a good ten minutes.»

She is but a shadowy figure as she lurks out, and I am dismayed when another follows. One I can take out ordinarily without too much trouble but two is just suspicious. Never mind the fact they both appear to have guns and I have Jesse--who doesn't heal very fast--to worry about.

“Hands where I can see them," a smoky voice croons. 

As I focus, I realize the two girls coming into view are probably simply street thieves, maybe gang-affiliated. Their firearms seem to be common, and it’s us they are interested in, not our hair. They don't seem like the sort who associate with the black market, anyway. Tattoos of Celtic or similar designs run along the lengths of their arms, visible as they hold their guns up.

«Definitely not Nephilum markings,» Jesse agrees too.

One has extremely pale, bloodless skin against ratty red hair chopped into an uneven cut below her chin. The other is dark-skinned and dark-haired, a piercing on her lip.

They're most definitely human.

"You especially, boy," the one with the piercing snaps. "Hands up.”

Really? Do they really think Jesse is the larger threat? You’ve got to be kidding me.

We raise our hands over our heads, and I take the opportunity to make sure the cap still has my hair secure. Better safe than sorry.

Slowly, Jesse moves to stand in front, as if he's trying to shield me.

«What are you doing?» I ask, confused. «Get back. I have the metal skin, not you.»

«Sometimes appearances can be deceiving,» Jesse says lightly. «Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under. Let them believe I'm the threat, and I'm the one trying to protect you. They won't focus on the background. Then you can strike.»

I blink. «That’s… that’s actually not a bad idea.» And did he just quote Shakespeare?

«I do try.»

"Search the girl's pockets first," Redhead commands, gesturing with the butt of her gun. "Sweater like that must have cost a lot, eh?"

Lip-piercing holds her gun up at a level angle as she moves closer. The thing is, she has it angled at Jesse more than me. Jesse emits a growl-like noise from his throat that would have been threatening if I didn't know the sound must be scraping him raw.