Chapter 25: New Memories

May 22

Ana

I toss a stick across the yard and Casper bounds after it gleefully. He hasn't quite mastered the art of returning the stick, but it's a start. He wanders over to where Ryan is hammering away at the frame for the greenhouse, stick clamped firmly between the puppy's teeth. Ryan looks up from his work and reaches for the stick, engaging in a game of tug-of-war that ends with Ryan gently scolding the puppy for not relinquishing the item as requested. Casper looks appropriately shamed until Ryan throws the stick for him and he races out across the yard again. Ryan wipes his brow with his sleeve and looks over at me.

"Want to take a break from that?" he asks, indicating the task I've been working on: tilling the soil for our new garden.

"Do I ever," I reply, happily throwing down the shovel. The soil around the cabin is rocky. Preparing the earth for the garden is proving more difficult and painful than I expected.

For the next several minutes, I help Ryan assemble the frame for the greenhouse, resulting in a small freestanding structure. It's slow going since neither of us has built anything like this before and he's not particularly dexterous. I offered to take charge of building the greenhouse, but he seemed oddly determined to do it himself. Since the materials and books for our gardening endeavor arrived three days ago, we've both been devoting every waking minute to researching, planning, and building our garden. With the sun rising before 4 am and setting almost at midnight, we've had plenty of daylight to aid us in our task. The weather took a turn for the warmer this week and we're both eager to get the plants in the ground as soon as possible.

Casper watches us, me holding the frame up to the wooden beam cemented in place while Ryan secures it with nails. Eventually, the puppy realizes that no one is going to fight him for the stick and reclines in the dirt, gnawing at the stick contentedly. According to the books, Casper should start teething soon. Hopefully, he limits his gnawing-items list to sticks and dog toys. Fortunately for us, Casper seems perfectly satisfied to stay near us and doesn't wander off into the forest. Though he sports a collar with a temporary, improvised name tag, we never need to use his leash to keep him with us.

When the fourth wall has been secured in place, I let go of the frame and step back while Ryan tests each for stability and security. I admire his work. I have to admit, I had my doubts he'd be able to manage the task. He has more strength in his injured arm than I gave him credit for.

"It's really starting to take shape," I say, smiling up at the little structure.

Ryan pauses at my right side to look up at his handiwork with a critical eye.

"It's a little uneven, but I think it'll do," he says. He turns his gaze on me. His hair and characteristic flannel shirt are damp with sweat, his unmarred skin covered in a light sheen. His blue eyes are shining with the exertion. I find myself staring at him a little longer than I should. I thought I'd become accustomed to looking him in the eye without feeling like my insides are melting. I've had over a month to will myself to stop turning into a star-struck fangirl at the sight of the youngest Burke son. I'm certain that's not the reaction he wants. I've never been one to fawn over celebrities, so where is this coming from?

I shift directly into his line of sight so that the right side of his face is visible. He breaks his gaze away. Strangely enough, being able to see his scars makes him less intimidating. I can still see the preserved beauty in his left side, but it's not as intense and heart-stopping as when that perfect profile is all I can see.

"I'll let you know when it's time to attach the rafters. Try to finish tilling the soil today," Ryan says, turning away from me and heading toward the remaining lumber and the circular saw. I sigh and glare at the rocky soil.