Chapter 28

I don't like basements. okay? I don't f-beeping like them. spiders chill there. spiders are not on my list of super rad freaking fantastically glorious things. so, never ask me to go down into your basement because I will say no.

xoCrashFire

*~*~*~*~*

I hear the slamming of car doors and then panic starts to rise. They're here, oh, God, they're here. I look around the house and make sure everything looks perfect, nothing out of place. God, I hate when that happens. I panic when people come over and I always flip trying to make sure everything is exactly where it's supposed to be.

"Mom, please, for the love of God, please do not bring up the self harm, suicide attempt, anything. Gerard already feels bad enough ab-" then there's a knock on the door. "I got it," I mutter.

I walk to the front door and open it, getting greeted with a hug from Gerard and a fist bump from Mikey. Donna gives me a friendly smile and walks in, greeting my parents and leaving Mikey, Gerard and myself to talk.

"Gerard, my parents don't know about my sexuality, so let's keep this on the down low," I say quietly. He gives me an understanding look and nods, smiling.

"Yeah," he says. "I know how it is." We share a small glance and then turn to Mikey, all of us staring at each other as a form of Solent communication on what we should talk about.

"Um, I apologize in advance for anything my mom says. If she brings up any of the sensitive subjects, just please call me when you get home," I tell Gerard. He nods his head, and looks down.

"Okay, boys," my dad says, coming up behind us. "Dinner's ready."

We all nod and make our way to the dining room, picking out places and awkwardly waiting for my mom or dad to say grace. I'm not really sure if Mikey's family is religious, I never thought to ask, really.

"Do you guys pray before you eat?" Mom asks, looking at Donna, patiently awaiting the answer.

"Um, no," she answers, blushing a little.

"That's quite alright," mom says, then bows her head and says a silent prayer. Mikey starts eating, but Gerard and Donna wait with awkward looks on their faces before mom lifts her head and smiles at them.

"Okay," Donna says quietly, picking up her fork and stabbing the green beans to eat.

I dig into my potatoes, they're mashed with some chunks of potato still there, which is how I love them. No one really makes conversation, not for about ten minutes.

"So, Gerard," mom starts, setting her fork down. "Tell me, why do you continue to-"

"Mom!" I shout across the table. "Stop, you don't need to interrogate him."

"I do if it involves the well being of my son," she replies and turns her head stare at Gerard, lips pursed. "As I was saying. Why do you continue to hurt yourself even when you know your harming another family's child?"

"Um," he says quietly, not making eye contact with anyone. "It's just not an easy thing to quit."

"That's like me saying I won't stop drinking after I find out I abuse people around me when I'm drunk. I do not drink, by the way." She rests her chin on her clasped fingers and continues to state Gerard down, waiting for a response. I look over at dad and see that he's just quietly eating, looking up at everyone every once in a while. He doesn't want to get involved.

Gerard just continues to avoid eye contact, keeping his eyes on his barely eaten food. I discreetly reach over and grab his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. He looks over and gives me a sad smile, tears falling down his flushed cheeks.