Girl Meets Game Night

Start from the beginning

********

"The American Revolution. Imagine England as a father and America, its child, knowing it's time to break away. Ladies and gentlemen, I gave you the Revolutionary War." Cory announced motioning toward the door. The door opened and Farkle stepped into the room.

"Subjects, It is I, King George III, ruler of the British Empire. Now where are those rebellious John Adams and Samuel Adams, who dare choses their American friends over their king?" Farkle said. Riley ran into the room pushing Farkle over while I walked in. "Here I am." She said. "Yeah, i'm here too, Samuel Adams." I said, unenthusicastically. "John Quincy Adams." Riley said.

"Uh, Riley you're actually John Adams." I corrected. "Who's that?" Riley asked and moved to sit next to our father. "John Adams was the father of John Quincy Adams." Dad answered. "But our school is John Quincy Adams." Riley told him. "My school is John Adams." Dad told her. "Your school is the father of my school?" Riley asked. "Does that make sense to you?" Dad asked.

"None of this does." Riley replied. "I'm also going to be your teacher next year." Dad said. "You're kidding me." Riley and I said. "Now back to our story." Dad said pushing Riley off his desk. "It's is I, John not Quincy Adams." Riley said. "Wait, why'd they name the school after this guy? I mean, he must have done something." Riley said, and went back over to Dad.

"He did. He did something, we're gonna get to it." Dad said. "So, John Adams, where are your rebel friends?" He asked. "With me as always." Riley said. Lucas walked in dressed as George Washington. "Hark, here's one right now." Riley asked. "Looking good Georgy Washington." I complimented Lucas jokingly. "Samuel, you're embarrassing me." Lucas told me. I chucked.

"Good! Now may I introduce, he is crazy smart, he's rocking granny glasses, the old kite flyer himself, Benjamin Franklin." Riley said, motioning to the door. "I'm not doing this." Maya said from the hallway. "Come on we can't start the revolution without you." Lucas told her. "Fine, but nobody look at me." Maya said. "Alright nobody look at Maya." Riley said.

Maya walked into the room and the class started to laugh. "Why, Benjamin Franklin, can you feel the electricity between us? "Hah." Farkle asked. "When do we get rid of this guy?" Maya asked. "Right now." I said. "King George, the American colonies want their freedom." Riley shouted. "You belong to me, and I will never let you go. It's the King's law." Farkle said.

********

"You two belong to me until you're 18. It's the law." Dad told us. "Whatever you say King George." Riley retorted. "Stop calling me that." Cory commanded. "What's the matter? Pops doesn't like pops' lesson?" Maya asked as she stood on the couch. "Yeah." I said. Riley, Maya, and I sat back down.

"Listen guys, not everything I teach you in class applies to our lives." Dad told us. "It does, ever time, sir." Lucas said. "Okay, game is all set up. We doing this, or what?" Uncle Josh asked. "No." Dad answered. "Yes." I said. "Do you guys even know how to play the family game?" Dad asked. "Let me teach you." Maya told him, pushing him down on the couch. "Okay." Dad said.

"Because I'm always here and you can't get rid of me." Maya explains. She points at Mom. "Always wins." Then she points to me. "Always is a graceful winner or a sore loser." Then finally she points at Riley. "Always eats too much popcorn and says, "I'm never eating popcorn again"." "But it's so delicious." Riley said with a mouth full of popcorn.

"Would you be on my team, Uncle Josh?" Auggie asked Uncle Josh. "Try and stop me." He said. Auggie was pulling Uncle Josh to sit. "Okay, I'll stop you. You're on my team." Maya told Uncle Josh grabbing his other arm. "He's my uncle." Auggie told her, pulling Uncle Josh towards him. "He's my husband." Maya retorted, pulling Josh towards her. Auggie let go of him. "Congratulation." He said.

"It says here the goal is to get into one of the four success squares with your teammate." Farkle said. "And then you win, it makes this sound." Auggie added. He pressed the button and the horn went off. "I win. Oh it hasn't happened yet." Mom said. "What's the big circle in the middle?" Lucas asked. "Oh we don't go there if even one person goes in there then you have to play the long game." I explained. "What's the long game?" Farkle asked. "I don't know we never played it." Riley answered.

"Intriguing. Should we find out?" Farkle asked. "No it take forever." Mom told him. "And you don't get to hear this." Dad added pressing the button and the horn sounded. "I win! Oh something's wrong with me." Mom said. The doorbell rang. "I win! Oh my goodness." Mom said. "Now who could that be?" Dad asked. Auggie went over and opened the door. "Hi Auggie." Ava greeted. "You're playing a game. Can I be on your team?" She asked.

Auggie looped his arm with Ava's and they walked over to Uncle Josh. "Your own your own, pal. My woman's here." Auggie told him. "Sure Auggie bring your woman in. Let's bring everybody in. Why don't we put up signs on the telephone poles next to the cats and the dogs? Matthews' family game night. Only not really, it's kind of everybody family game night. Isn't it? Huh? Isn't in?" Dad said, standing on the couch.
"There's the freak out. Best show in town. You feel better now, buddy?" Maya asked. "I do, thank you." Dad thanked. "Thank you." Maya repeated.

********

"Well, well looks like everyone's partnered up except for little old us." Maya said. "Huh I could pick you." She said and leaned closer to Josh. "Or I could pick you." She said and looked at Dad. "Or I could pick you." She said leaning towards Josh again. "Or I could pick you." She said and turned towards Dad again. "Yeah, well, you see, you represent homework and no fun" She said to Dad. She turned to Uncle Josh. "while you are so handsome it kind of makes my eyes hurt." She said to him.

"Okay, here's what I'm going to do. I'm gonna be the game show host, is what I'm going to do. 'Cause they stand." Uncle Josh said. Uncle Josh stood up and Maya did the same. "And they move." Uncle Josh said and moved away from Maya and Maya tried to follow him, but Dad stopped her and made her sit down. "Hiya partner." He said to her. "Oh boy." Maya stated.

"And the game show hosts make sure everyone follows the rules and plays fair."Uncle Josh said. Ava was taking the game money and was about to hide it. "Especially this one." Josh said and took the money away from Ava. "Ava!" Auggie exclaimed. "Shh. I'm doing this for us baby." Ava told him. "Okay. The object of this game is to create a family, protect it, and get safely through a world of obstacles that will test how strong your family is. The winner of the short game is the first team to end up in one of the four success square with a car and a house." Uncle Josh read from the box.

"Get me a car and a house." Ava ordered Auggie. "I'm tryin'." Auggie told her. "Okay. Um, Maya and I up first. We'll go first." Dad said. "Says who?" Riley asked. "Says the king of the castle." Dad answered. "Just because you are the king doesn't mean you get to make all of the rules." Riley retorted. "Oh yeah. That's actually the first rule in the king's handbook." Dad told her. By now they were in each other's faces and Lucas was seated between them.

"Well, it's been a lovely evening. And now I need a hug from my mama." Lucas said climbing off of the couch. "Mama?" I questioned. "Yeah." Lucas answered. "What do you call your mama?" Lucas asked Josh. "Ma. Try it out." Josh answered. "Ma. Nah she'd put me in the shed." Lucas said. "You know what, dad? You may be the king, but I am going first." Riley told Dad. Riley took the die from him and rolled them causing Dad to gasp.

********

Farkle gasped. "You are staging an act of open rebellion against your king." Farkle stated. "You have left the colonies no choice, but to break away from you." I started. "And become independent." Riley finished. "Because you're fighting for the sake of your families." Dad stated. "And friends." I added. "And family is the most important thing in the world." Cory stated. "And friends." Riley said.

"Riley, Kayden, you don't think family should come first?" Dad asked. We turned to look at Dad. "We cannot do this right now." I told him. "We are in the middle of a rebellion." Riley added. "Oh yeah." Dad said turning us back towards Farkle. "Oh yeah. Let's see how your little rebellion fairs against the might of the British Empire." Farkle told us.

Farkle opened the door and there was a big cannon. "Whoa Farkle, where'd you get the cannon?" Dad asked. "From my cannon guy." Farkle answered. Lucas raised his hand. "Yes General Washington." Dad said. "You really have to wonder if the king wasn't so stubborn, could something have been worked out so America would still be in the British family?" Lucas asked.

"A nation or a family, can only remain united if its leader govern fairly and address the needs of all of its members both old and young." Dad answered. "Well, I'm not gonna. So let's get this party started. Is this thing loaded?" Farkle asked going inside of the tank. "It's is now." Maya answered from behind the cannon holding a sparkler. "Happy Fourth of July, everybody."

"Maya the war hasn't even started yet." Dad said, but Maya ignored him. "You're gonna love Boston." Maya told Farkle. "When am I going to Boston?" Farkle asked. "In five, four," We moved out the way as Maya counted down. "Three...."

********

"Four, five, six and as usual I will choose the fatherhood path." Dad said. "Bing, bing, bing, bing." He moved his piece. "And the blue square means...." Dad picked up on of the cards. "I get a son." "Actually sir, Farkle and I already own that square." Lucas informed Dad. "So." Dad said. "So, your son's ours." Lucas told him. A look of realization came over me. "Excuse me?" Dad asked. "Let him talk." I told Dad.

Dad turned and looked at me. "According to the game we get your son." Lucas explained to Dad. I moved to go over to Lucas and Farkle, but Mom stopped me. "Josh!" Dad shouted. "He's not Kayden Matthews anymore, my brother. He's now Mr. Dr. Howdy Turtleneck." Unc;e Josh explained. Lucas held his hand out so Dad could give him the card. Dad handed it to him, but didn't let go.

"Uh, sir, you're holding on a little tight." Lucas stated. "You really need to let go, sir." Farkle added. Lucas pulled the card, but he ended up ripping it. "You killed my son." Cory accused. "My turn, I pick six." Ava announced. "Uh, Ava you need to roll the die." Mom told her, but Ava wasn't listening. "One, two, three, four, five, six." Ava said while moving her piece.

"Josh, objection." Mom said. "I'm going to allow it." Uncle Josh told her. "Why?" Mom asked. "Because she cracks me up." Uncle Josh answered. "I get a make your own luck card." Ava said as she picked up one of the cards. "Take over someone's family business. Choose one player to send back to start." She read off the card. "I choose.... Hmm... One Topanga, two Topanga, three Topanga, four. Five Topanga, six Topanga, seven Topanga, or.... Topanga!" Ava and Auggie both pointed at Mom.

"Wee! Poom!" Ava exclaimed as she moved Mom's piece back to start. "This stinks." Mom stated. "This had to be done, mommy." Auggie told Mom. "It's okay, my lovebug." She replied. "Luckily, my team always win. And one of my teammates has a turn, and I'm sure she's going to use it to help me. Right Riley? Sweetheart?" She asked. "Mom, I really hate to do this, but I have a go to Europe with friends' card. And you're all the way back there and I've never been to Europe and Kayden isn't back there." Riley replied. "Yay, i'm going to Europe." I said.

"I want to go to Europe." Ava demanded. "Get off my back!" Auggie shouted. "Wait, you're leaving me?" Mom questioned. "Mom, it's not personal, I just go this card and..." Mom cut Riley off, "Wait you're leaving me?" She repeated. "Here it comes." Dad stated. "I am your mother, I have you absolute love and loyalty. What do you think you're talking to him?" Mom asked pointing at Dad.

"Hey Farkle. How do you that again?" Dad asked. "Ha!" Farkle shouted. "Ha!" Dad shouted at Mom. "Now you run, sir." Farkle told Dad. "No, actually now I go right over here which is exactly where I belong." Dad said moving to the other side of Mom. "Well this game just got real. Will the daughters go off on their own? Or does the mother hold on to them forever."Uncle Josh narrated.