Girl Meets Master Plan

Riley and I were in her room and she was putting the finishing touches on the box that held Maya's 14th birthday present. Riley and I sat down at the window and Riley held out the gift. Maya crawled in through the window and took the box away from Riley. "Happy 14 Maya." Riley and I said. Maya opened the box and pulled out another box. She opened that box and pulled out another box.

"How's fourteen? Tell me what it's like to be fourteen, but don't leave anything out." Riley said to Maya. "So far it's a lot of work." Maya told her. She took the lid of the box she was holding and pulled out another box. "You know I'll be there soon, and I want to know what I have to look forward to." I explained. "Well if you're like me, you can look forward to your mother forgetting your birthday." Maya told me.

"Oh no she did not." Riley said. She tried to go out the window, but Maya stopped her. "Where you goin', honey?" Maya asked us. "Must talk to your mom." Riley replied. "Must not get involved." Maya told her, pulling her back down. "Why do you tell us these things if you don't expect me to fix them?" Riley asked. "When you're fourteen, you'll understand." Maya replied.

"How could your mother forget your birthday, Maya?" Riley questioned. "I've stopped trying to figure it out. She was already gone when I woke up this morning. She probably just took an early shift at the diner." Maya answered. "Rather than be there for your birthday?" I asked. "Uh-uh." Riley said. She tried to get out of the window, but Maya stopped her again.

"Riles, Kay, friendship ring." Maya said. "Yeah." I said. "Three of them." Maya said. "Yeah." Riley said. "In case I lose one." Maya said. "No." I told her. "Well, anybody else would have just got me one." Maya said. "No." Riley repeated.

"Oh, I get it." Maya said. "Yeah." Riley and I said. "One for one hand and two for the other hand." Maya told us. "No." Riley and I said. Maya put one of the rings on her hand. "I'll never take this off until I die." Maya told us. "You'll probably die before us since you're older." Riley told Maya.

"Should we tell the people not to take it off your dead corpse body?" I asked. "Yeah, would you do that for me?" Maya asked. "And, Maya, the other rings...." Riley trailed off holding one hand out "... is for you." Maya started, "...and you." She said as she put the two rings on our hands. "Yeah. Oh, no. If you're not there and Kayden's not there, who's going to tell the people not to take it off my dead corpse body?" Riley asked.

"Happy birthday Maya." Riley and I said to Maya as she pulled us into a hug. "Thanks for not forgetting." Maya said. "Oh, yeah, that reminds me." Riley said and we both tried to get out of the window this time but were stopped by Maya.

********

Riley, Maya, and I walked into the apartment. Riley and I walked past the couch. I stopped and turned to see Shawn, my real father there. "Are you really here?" I asked. "Yep I'm here." Shawn answered as he stood up. "Uncle Shawn." Riley said, and hugged him. "Hey there." He said to her. "Dad!" I exclaimed once he turned to me. "Did you just call me Dad?" He asked. "I'm sorry... If you don't want me to I wont..." I started but was cut off by a hug from Shawn. "I love you son." He said. "Aw." Maya and Riley said. We stopped hugging and Shawn turned and looked at Maya. "Hey." He said. "Hey." Maya replied. "Okay." Maya said as She and Shawn hugged each other.

"It's her birthday. Squeeze her good." Riley told Shawn. "Oh, happy birthday kiddo." Shawn said to Maya. He brought her into another hug. "You doing something special?" He asked. "This is it." Maya answered. The front door opened and Mom and Dad walked in with a box. "Honey, hide the cake before Maya gets here." Mom told him. "I know, but you know what we should do? We should bring the cake to Maya's mother just in case she forgot to get her own kid a cake." Dad told Mom. I don't think he noticed that there were other people in the room. "Oh, you think that could actually happen?" Mom asked.

"Honey, I grew up with Shawn Hunter. Remember his mother? She forgot where she lived. See, my biggest worry is that forgetting to give your kid a cake is the first step to forgetting where you live." Dad explained to Mom. "Oh, that's not your biggest worry anymore." Mom told him looking at us. "Maya's behind me isn't she? Why is everybody always behind me? Okay, Maya, I'm not going to turn around because I'm all embarrassed, but you know how much I like your mother." Dad said. "I know you do. You always defend her." Maya replied.

"Because at least she's not..." Dad started but was cut off by Mom."No, everything's fine! Stop talking." Mom said."Shawn's mother! What a cuckoo. "Ah, it's Tuesday! I better run away!"" Dad said, laughing. "You have to laugh, huh, Topanga?" Dad said, then took notice of Mom's face. "Nice face." He said. "You want to turn around or you want me to turn you around?" Mom asked. "How you doin', Shawn?" Dad asked still not turning around. "Well, it ain't Tuesday, so pretty good." Shawn answered.

Dad turned around and threw the cake in the air. "Shawny!" Dad shouted. Riley, Maya, and I moved on to the top of the couch as Cory and Shawn embraced each other then fell onto the couch. "How you doin', buddy?" Cory asked. "Just here doing a photo essay." Shawn answered. "Weekends in New York for under $100. It's impossible. Can I stay here?" He asked. "Also Kayden calls me Dad now." He exclaimed, with a bright smile on his face. "But i'm Dad." Dad said. "It's fine you can be pops because you're the cool Dad." I said to Shawn. "What am I?" Dad asked. "You're the Dad that teaches me things." I said. "I teach him things." Dad said to Shawn. " "I'm the cool Dad." Shawn said, sticking out his tongue. "Yes you are, Pops." I said. Shawn smiled.