Part Ninety

" Her crown was heavy with burden."

14th August 16834:16Grand PalaceHoly Souviera

14th August 1683
4:16
Grand Palace
Holy Souviera

Sorren groaned as woke to the smooth feel of his silk and satin blankets, and the aroma of jasmine and nut meg coming from the blonde haired woman sleeping on his broad chest.

He looked down and smiled at the sleeping young girl and leaned down to peck her forehead, " Emily, it's late. I need to leave." He said in a hushed tone.

Emily's forest coloured orbs fluttered open and gazed at the blue eyed Emperor beneath her blonde lashes.

" Good morning." She greeted groggily.

Sensing that she was still tired Sorren said, " You can still sleep. "

Emily smiled as she moved away from him, allowing him to leave the bed. But instead he simply rolled onto his side his back turned from her and sighed, " Emily, I do not know what to do anymore."

Emily, now fully awake and sensing his distress, turned her head to his direction and shifted closer to Sorren, her strawberry blonde locks falling over her shoulders.

" Is it Ayşe?" Emily asked softly as she gazed at Sorren's back, bringing her hand up to trace his broad back with her index finger.

The concubine and the Emperor had a uncanny relationship. Although Emily and Sorren performed the duties as wife and husband a lot more frequently since Sorren grew tired of Carola and soon forgot her, both knowing that this was more to procreate than love or lust on Sorren's part.

The two developed a friendship. Emily became something of a close confidant to Sorren, who often told her intimate details of the recesses of his mind, the palace intrigues and about the concubines he favoured and least favoured.

It was a caring and loving friendship they had built since he ascended the throne nearly a year ago, neither loving the other romantically but having platonic love for one another.

Sorren shut his eyes closed and groaned" Yes. Everyday I am haunted by her image. She is so seductive in many ways that I have not even noticed before. I want her, Emily. I want her on this bed."

Emily through her head back and laughed at the boy, who turned to face her with an annoyed look, " And? I do not see how this is funny Emily, do not laugh at my frustration. " He chided as he reached over to pinch Emily's cheek and twist the soft flesh causing , Emily to yelp in discomfort.

" Oh! Sorren that hurts!" Emily groaned as Sorren let's go of her cheek and pouted.

" If you laugh I might do it again." Sorren said to her with a toothy grin which Emily returned with a warm smile.

In the past few months that she had known Ayşe Emily liked her and found her pleasant.

She knew that Ayşe was avoiding Sorren's bed strategically and knowing how simple minded Sorren is, his lust for her grows each day.

She wanted to inform Sorren but decided she wouldn't. The Empire needed an heir from the empress. Not from a concubine or consort.

She would not put Ayşe's efforts in jeprody for friendship as that would put the empire in jeprody.

Emily simply smiled and responded kindly, " Sorren, I think the best way to get her in your bed is to get to know her."

Sorren's handsome features relaxed as his pale blue eyes looked at her in thought. " Know her? Her name is Ayşe, she's the Empress of Holy Souviera, she's strange and she's stunningly beautiful. What else is there to know?"

Emily resisted the urge to roll her eyes hard. But she collected herself and answered gently, " Her likes, her dislikes, her hobbies, her aspirations, her dreams, what makes her angry , what makes her happy. Those things, Sorren. It's just like how you know my likes and dislikes and those of Carola and your siblings."

Sorren shrugged his shoulders. " Carola is an Imperial wife. I didn't bother to get to know her that well."

Emily felt a bit taken a back by this.

" You mean to tell me that you did not bother to get to know Carola?" She asked.

" No. I was with her simply because she danced merrily in bed and her beauty is something to behold. Otherwise she had no other significance to me." Sorren said casually as he stared intently at Emily.

Emily felt a lump in her throat.

Despite her strong dislike for Carola she could not help but feel deep pity for the brunette beauty.

Everyone knew how madly in love she is with Sorren. And for him to simply regard her as a play thing was simply heartbreaking as a woman.

Did he regard Emily more as a plaything  than a friend as well? The thought sickened Emily.

As though sensing her discomfort , Sorren brought his large and warm hand to her cheek and caressed it, momentarily startling her.

" I know you. You like cows, you dislike confrontation, you dream and aspire to be happy, you like needlework, rudeness makes you angry and children make you happy. You are different Emily. You are like a sister to me." He said softly.

Emily giggled and grinned, " Do you bed your sisters then?"

She laughed hysterically when Sorren's expression morphed into one mortification as he realised that he worded himself badly.

" Never joke like that again." he hissed in disgust at the very thought of bedding anyone of his three sisters.

" I was wondering, Sorren." She said with a mischievous smile.

Smiling back gently Sorren said " Thank you. I will consider your suggestion, Emily."

Emily gave Sorren a warm smile and said ," It's always a pleasure to help you."

" I wouldn't know what to do without you." Sorren sighed as heavines settled on his shoulders. " All I can do now is hope for children to secure the dynasty. I don't care who it's from anymore. All I can do is hope and try at least for one child. But it seems that no matter how many times I bed a woman, non can get with child." He said bitterly as he stared down at the mattress, as if it had angered him in an unforgivable way.

Emily stared at him thoughtfully and softly said, " Sorren. There's no need for that. You are virile and fertile. "

Sorren laughed sardonically and said " Oh? What makes you say that? Do not fan my hope simply because you are my friend Emily."

" But I am not." Emily denied simply as she gazed at Sorren with her emerald eyes.

" Then why?" Sorren demanded as his eyes narrowed.

He watched as her lips curled into a warm smile and her forest coloured eyes dance with happiness.

" I am with child, Sorren."