Pain

Claire's POV: "Ashton?"

His eyes start to open. "What- what happened?"

"Michael and Calum finally got him off you and tried to beat him up whole me and Luke got you out. We're at Calum's. You've been out for a few hours," I explain. He tries to sit up and the blood drains from his face and he falls back onto his back.

"How bad is it?" he asks.

I haven't checked either. I push up the hem of his shirt slowly, and even the sight of his bruised torso makes tears gather in my eyes. "You're fine," I say.

"I know," he replies. "But are you?"

"Yeah," I answer, unable to tear my eyes from the green bruises. He reaches for my hand.

"How long have you been sitting with me?"

"Not too long."

"You've been here the whole time, haven't you?" he says. I don't answer. "Go rest."

"But-"

"Shut up. Go."

I stand quietly and start to leave. "Wait!" he says weakly. I turn to face him. "Can you come kiss me? I know that's pathetic, but I can't get up and-"

I run to his bedside and stop him with my lips. "I love you," I whisper.

He smiles, but it looks like it takes effort to do so.

"Do you want some pain killers or something?" He nods.

///

Ashton's POV: A few minutes after she leaves, Luke comes in with a couple pills and a glass of water. "These should help the pain. Claire's finally resting. She's been taking care of everyone all day."

"Michael. And Calum. Are they okay?" I ask suddenly.

"Pretty beaten up, but yeah. Calum's knuckles are crazy bloody, and Michael has a pretty bad black eye."

"What was I thinking?" I ask more to myself. I don't mean to. I start crying. Just a little.

Luke stands there awkwardly. "Um... Just so you know... I think it's amazing what you did for Claire. If anyone deserves her, you do. And if you're afraid she won't stand by you through whatever's gonna happen with this Jake guy, you shouldn't be. She's going to be there for you as long as you're there for her, even if you're apart. The way she looks at you is the way I used to look at her. She loves you. So just don't doubt it." He looks like he's about to say something else then stops himself, leaving the room.