Don't Tell

Claire's POV: I stare at my computer screen, waiting for the inspiration to hit me. I've been writing acticles for our town's paper since I moved here. It pays the bills, but I prefer creative writing and poetry. My boss said to write something about Thanksgiving, but what am I supposed to write? I look around from my park bench. The playground which is buzzing with laughing kids is on my right. To my left is a big field where families are having picnics and playing frisbee. There's a couple taking a picture on the dock on the lake directly in front of me. Everyone looks happy. I wish I knew those feelings.

I don't think I ever played on a playground when I was a kid. I certainly didn't go on picnics with my famiy. That would be impossible. I never had one. As for taking a icture with a boyfriend, I've only ever been in one other relationship and it broke me. At least I have Ashton now.

I try to focus on my article. After writing a few sentences I allow myself a break. I click on my pictures file and open the folder labeled "Luke". I look at me and the tall blond smiling and laughing in front of the Empire State building and joking around in a huge toy store. No, Claire. Don't think about it. I close out of the pictures and try to write again. Luke. New York. I slam my laptop shut and put my head in my hands.

"Claire?"

"Marie! Um, hey. Why are you here?"

"I was babysitting Henry, and his mom met us here. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

She gives me a look. "Don't you dare lie to me about something like this. Not even you can pretend nothing is wrong when you're close to tears in the middle of the park."

"Well..." Would she understand? How could she? Then again, she understands me more than almost anyone I've ever met. "Remember when I went to New York? You know, for college?"

"Claire, please tell me this isn't about Luke."

I look down.

"You have Ashton! Why are you thinking about Luke? New York almost killed you! Luke wan't so good fr you either."

"I know. He just... he's the closest thing I had to family. Besides you. When Ashton asked how you and me met, I made it sound like I lived in a normal neighborhood like you. We both know our lives were like polar opposites, but somehow you still understand me."

"Why don't you tell Ashton about your family? Maybe he will understand!"

"I don't know. Luke was there for almost every step of the way. When my sisters and I got separated, he was still somehow with me. I guess I just always think about him when the holiday season comes around."

"You think about him a lot?"

"I didn't say that. Just- just don't tell Ashton anything I just said please. Just because I think about Luke doesn't mean I'm not thankful for my Ashton."

/////////////////////////////////

Ashton's POV: At the gym, my workout is interrupted by a phone call. I catch my breath and grab my phone. "Hello?"

"Hey. It's Calum."

I can't say anything. Calum? Why would he be calling?

"Ashton, we have a problem."

"What do you mean?"

"I... uh... okay, you're gonna be so pissed..."

"Calum, what did you do?"

"I... er.... I can't find the pictures."

 "Please tell me you aren't talking about Peter's blackmail pictures."

Silence.

"Calum-"

"Yes. The blackmail pictures."

"What if the police find them? They'll immediately see the motive for me to kill him! How do you just lose the envelope that my entire life is resting on?"

"I knew you'd be mad."

"I'm beyond mad!"

"Please don't kill me too!"

My heart stops. "Calum, I wouldn't kill you. What happened with Peter isn't going to happen again. Do you really think I would do that?"

Silence.

 "I think it's time you come visit. Get away from there. Plus I guess we need to talk about what to do now."

"Okay. And Ashton?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm... I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." It's actually not, but there's nothing I can do about that right now.

I work out for another couple of hours then go home, walking in the house silent.

"Alright, what's wrong?" Mike asks immediately.

"Why would something be wrong?"

He gives me a look.

"Calum called. The pictures are gone. I told him to come visit for a while so we can make a plan. Michael, I'm about to get caught."

"No! We aren't going to let that happen! And I think that... uh..."

"What? What do you think?" I snap.

"I think you should tell Claire."

"No."

"Ashton-"

"Absolutely not."

"What if she finds out by herself."

"No, Michael. I'm not telling her. and neither are you. Swear?"

"But-"

"Swear?"

"Yeah. Fine."