We All Are

Claire's POV: "You're going to California with that criminal?" Marie cries.

"Yes, I am! And think about what you're saying! 'That criminal'? I love him! Do you understand that?"

"Claire, I don't want you getting hurt!"

"Well, too late! I'll survive!" I yell, running up to my room.

"Where are you going?" Marie calls.

"To pack!" I shove things in my bag angrily when I hear more yelling downstairs. Then Ashton appears in my doorway.

"Marie's mad at me," he says. "I'm assuming you told her."

I nod. "I told her I'm going to California."

"She said I'm ruining your life," he says quietly.

I shake my head. "I can't believe her."

"Maybe she's right."

"Don't say that! You aren't ruining my life!"

"Then what am I doing?"

"You're becoming my life. Not ruining it," I tell him softly going on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

He smiles unconvincingly then glances around. "I've never seen your room before." He notices the posters on my walls and the empty picture frame by my bed. "Why no picture?"

"I haven't found anything special enough to put in it." He nods. "But that might change if I got a good picture with you."

He grins and grabs my Canon camera and turns it so it's facing us as we smile cheek to cheek. Then the flash comes on unexpectedly causing our faces to make weird expressions in the picture. "That's a keeper."

////

Ashton's POV: Michael, Calum, and I sit in the studio that night discussing the trip. "So who could've stolen the blackmail photos?"

"You don't think Jake found them, do you?" Michael asks.

"God, I hope not," I sigh.

"None of this would've happened if you hadn't-" Calum starts.

"If I hadn't what? If I hadn't talked to Joy? Yeah, I know, Calum. It's really her fault though, and I really don't need you blaming me right now," I reply.

Joy was beautiful, blond, and bad news. A few years ago, I saw her and worked up the nerve to talk to her. What she didn't tell me as she continued to lead me on is she was in another relationship with Jake Reynolds. Jake the billionaire, well-known, and demanding who wasn't enough for Joy.

Pictures of me on a date with a powerful guy's girlfriend was enough to get me in trouble, but I had no idea. Then it got worse. She convinced me to go to Jake's house for dinner, assuring me it was her house. I had no idea. I guess she wanted him to catch me there with her so she could make a scene or something, but Peter, his personal assistant, caught me there instead and proceeded to tell me he had photographed me with her and would show the pictures to Jake if I didn't pay him monthly.

I was hurt that Joy had tricked me. Made me her toy or whatever. I did something stupid. I vandalized Jake's house. And guess who has proof of me doing it.

Peter.

Jake was very publicly talking about what he would do to the "fool who was trying to get his girl and destroy everything he owned" which scared the hell out of me. Peter got worse and worse with his blackmailing.

I shouldn't have killed him, but is it bad I'm glad he's dead?

"If Jake found those pictures, I'm screwed, guys."

"We all are," Michael says. He and Calum helped me vandalize the house. I regret ever asking for them to.

"It would make me prime suspect for the murder too," I sigh.

"We'll just have to find them before Jake does," Calum says.

"Unless he already has," I answer.

/////////////////

Over 400 reads?! No way! You guys are sweethearts!

How is the story? Did this chapter even make sense? I know it was kinda all over the place with backstory, but do you guys like it still?

Love you all! Stay beautiful!

MCG