Can I Write You A Letter?

I ran my fingers through the tuff of brown hair topping my head as I look into the mirror. My bright blue eyes stare back at me as I look at my reflection. I have a few freckles on my cheeks, a small amount of natural makeup and a general innocence about me. Sighing I turn away and start buttoning my work shirt up before clipping my pink bow on.

I work at a small Cafe in a small town. It's hard work with terrible pay but at least it's a job. I have to pitch in somehow. Especially since I turned eighteen last week. It was either work or go off to war and I couldn't bear the idea of helping to hurt people, guilty or innocent.

I grab my pink apron off of its hook and lay it over my satchel before heading out the door. As I walk I kick a few stones on the dirt road and sing songs that I write late at night in the dark, long after my mom and stepdad go to sleep.

It's not long before I'm taking orders of the few people who are in the Cafe. I know all of them and they all know me because of what I call the small town effect. Even if you don't know someone, you know of them.

I'm cleaning the table that Mr and Mrs Davis had left when the doors bell catches my attention. I look up to be met by brilliant blue-green eyes. A man with blonde hair and wearing army greens looks around a little before sitting down at a far boothe.

Ignoring the butterflies erupting in my stomach I walk up to the soldier who looks at me nervously. I give him a soft smile before saying a simple 'hi.' He smiles back at me replying with his own soft 'hi.' His voice is smooth and deep and doesn't help my butterfly situation.

"My names Brian, but people round here call me Trixie. I haven't seen you around here before?" I say, my statement coming out more like a question.

"Yeah I live quite a while out of town. I came in to catch the bus out of town later today." He explains before introducing himself. "My names Brian McCook."

I giggle and fiddle with my bow. "Well, Mr McCook, can I get you anything?" I ask smiling at Brian.

"Can you sit and talk with me Trixie? It's not been a good day for me." He asks looking down at his lap.

I sigh sadly. "Not right now. But I'll fix you some coffee, on the house, and I know where to go if you stick around forty-five minutes." I suggest and he looks back up.

"I'd love that." He says before adding on 'Trixie Pixie' to the end.

I giggle again before walking off to retrieve some coffee. Before I know it we're sitting on the cliffs talking about anything and everything. Family, Friends (or lack thereof), hobbies and he even asked if I had a girlfriend (I avoided that question at any cost).

"My mom and dad would never stop talking about how all the other men my age were off fighting, making our country proud, being the ideal men of America. And me? I wasn't a soldier so therefore I wasn't their son." Brian explains as the sun beams down on us. "And now even after I signed up to go to war they want nothing to do with me"

"That's not fair." I say softly before laying down with my head in his lap in his lap. He looks down at me smiling softly before stroking a strand of hair away from eyes. "Do you have a girlfriend?" I ask and he starts chucking. "Whats so funny you meanie?" He keeps chuckling so I give him a small push on the shoulder.

"I-" He lets out a wheeze and grabs my hand tightly. "Okay, okay. Don't hate me. Coz I'd hate that. But I don't like girls." He says smiling and I shoot up to a sitting position.

"What?!" I say suddenly making him jump. "No that came out wrong-I. I-I just thought I was the only person who doesn't like girls. I thought I was a freak and that-" I ramble on until two soft hands grab mine and give them a tight squeeze.

"Look at me Trixie Pixie." Brian says softly and I do as he says. His eyes burn into mine and he give my cheek a soft stroke. "You're far from a freak. You're a little weird but so am I. You're the most adorable boy I've seen like, ever. You're kindhearted and passionate. And you have the most pretty smile."

I feel him swipe at my cheek making me realise that I'm crying. "I'm sorry." I mutter looking down again. Brian just picks my chin up carefully.

"Don't be. I know we just met but, can I Write you a letter while I'm away?" He asks with a smile and I nod my head in agreement.

"I'd love that Bri."