23 - Mother Knows Best

Katie knew she would have to return to help the Freedom Fighters. With a quick farewell, that is what she did. Time was quick to pass afterward and soon, Katie had received word that the Paladins captured Lotor and was using him for information.

Continuously, with the knowledge of Lotor’s insight, they pulled mission after mission off. Every branch of the alliance. Keith with the Blade of Marmora, Voltron, and Katie with the freedom fighters. She thought the information Lotor held was quite useful, but she never knew how useful it actually was.

It was when she and Matt had finished fixing and upgrading the ships belonging to allies that the message came. “He looks brand-new! I can see myself in his chest plate!” Nyma cheered, looking at her beloved robot.

The door to one of the larger ships slid open. “Pidge, you got a message incoming,” Rolo informed, calling out to Matt. He looked over at the mention of his fake name. The three went into the ship, all entering the command bay.

Rolo answered the call. “Hey, guys!” Matt chimed, peering up at Shiro and Allura on the screen.

“Matt, Katie…,” Shiro began, sounding not-so energetic as Matt. Immediately, Katie’s smile faded.

Matt also mirrored her action, hand falling before it could ever finish waving. “Is something wrong?” he asked, voice solemn in suspense. Shiro glanced between the two, Allura remaining silent as her eyes remained on Matt.

Taking shaky breath inward, Shiro spoke, “We have a lead on Commander Holt… your mother.” Hope sparked Katie’s heart as she and Matt shared glances. Their mother. She would see her again and so would Matt. Everything was slowly piecing back together.

“O-Our mother?” Matt quaked, looking up expectantly at the two. The Holt siblings watched intently as Shiro went on.

“Lotor gave us information on her whereabouts,” their leader informed through the video feed.

Matt was quick to spring up. “Where is she!?” he inquired rushingly. Adrenaline flowed through Katie’s veins as she envisioned their mother smiling back at them. She stayed silent, watching stiffly.

Allura was next to speak, “Because your mother was considered a valuable scientific asset, she was moved to a remote prison with others like her. They’re being forced to work for the Galra Empire.” Katie was informed that she’d be a mule, not a valuable prisoner. Was it lies?

Shiro continued on with the report, “According to Lotor, she’s still at the prison, but he could be transferred at any moment. As soon as the teludav is repaired, we can all head over there.” Sharing a look, both Matt and Katie knew that they could not wait for the rest.

Matt rushed off, getting ready as Katie asked them to send them the coordinates. She heard them call after her, but she cared not. Their mother had been found and they were going to get her before she can suffer any longer. Allura continued on to ask them to wait for the sake of backup. Katie and her brother did not wait for the rest of the conversation.

And so, the two with Rolo and Nyma, entered Green and took off. Once receiving the coordinates, they were immediately on their way to the location. Through space, they shifted, eyes ahead. The silence was broken by the uncertainty that fluttered through Matt’s head.

“What if something’s happened to her, Katie? What… What if--?” he started, but was quickly cut off by Katie’s hand on his shoulder.

She reassured, “We’re gonna bring Mom back, I promise.” Matt did not seem to relax, even at his sister’s words.

Approaching the prison, which seemed to be on a destroyed comet. To surpass security, Matt turned on Green’s cloaking. Though once they passed a security field, they were caught and their invisibility was lost. In reaction to the intrusion, Galra fighters began to attack. Matt began to use any means of defense as their plan quickly shifted.

Down Green dived, closing in on the ground at record speed. Katie, Rolo, and Nyma quickly went to the hatch and jumped out just as Green went up once more. The three fell, wind whipping at their bodies, and initiated their fire jetpacks. Katie’s would not work though. She jammed the button, praying for it to just have fluked. The jetpack did not ignite.

“Something’s wrong!” Katie cried, trying more, “My pack’s not working!” The girl only proceeded to fall faster, twirling in the air. The ground came into view, approaching faster than Katie would have liked. This was not how she wanted to go. Robotic arms wrapped around her torso and she was reeled up, grunting. She quickly attached herself to the robot, not letting go until a few minutes after they were safely on the ground.

They scurried into the base, guns ready. There were no guards due to the defenses being only automated. Though, it seemed as if everything had previously been shut down. The trio swiftly and cautiously entered the prison. The three snuck their way down the hallways, robotic Galra shut off or destroyed littering the floor. Soon, they came upon what seemed to be a cafeteria. A yellow alien with a long white beard and whiskered eyebrows spotted them and made a sound before Nyma could completely shush him.

The entire room was aware of their presence in seconds. Rolo was swift to try to make them relax, but the others only thought they thought they were present to hurt them. After managing to convince them they weren’t ‘with the scary lady,’ Katie took notice that her mother was not present.

“Is this everyone!?” she questioned, slightly panicking.

The alien the other two had been holding a conversation with was quick to respond that more prisoners were in their cells. Katie wasted no time and set out, looking for her mother. She opened up a door calling out, “Hello? Mom? Mom, are you here?” to receive confusion from the other aliens. She began jogging down the hallway, asking if they’d seen her or just another human. None stopped to help her as they ran on in the delight of escape.

Deeper she went, opening all the cells she could. Until she came to the final cell. She wasn’t there. Quickly locating the others at an escape pod, she entered.

“Where’s?” Nyma started, but Katie was too disappointed to answer.

“Just go…,” she whispered. A retort began to come from Nyma, but Katie was quick to shut her down. Matt came to get them in Green. Delivering the bad news was going to hurt.

---

Returning to the Castle of Lions was coming home after a funeral. Katie was frustrated and depressed meanwhile Matt stayed the up-most silent. Allura tried to offer some condolence, but neither accepted it and took to sitting on the sidelines of the control room.

The screen came to life and Zarkon peered down at them. “I am making a one-time offer. I have someone of value to you,” the evil emperor explained before stepping aside to show their mother, Lotor’s commanders right behind her. Colleen Holt looked up, face Elden with age and hair longer than either was used to seeing on her. “I will hand her over and in exchange, you give me my son Lotor.”

------
It's one in the morning here lolol, so sorry if there's multiple errors.
-ThatOneServant