Chapter 18. This Is Your Fault

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Carlos. Aria is upstairs changing," I said.

"Colima called me. They said they wanted a relationship with us again, but you denied them. They want to rebuild the relationship, but with me instead of Aria." Carlos looked irritated at the thought.

"What did you tell them?"

"I told them to get bent," Carlos said and laughed. "Well, not quite that rudely. I told them that Aria is the boss and it's her choice. I said I had no connection to artillery anymore since I'm not in the chair. I also told them that even if I wanted the chair back, which I don't, that I can't take it back unless Aria gives it back. I'm enjoying retirement."

"Come on, Carlos. We both know that isn't true. If you wanted artillery, you could get it easily."

"But they don't know that, and I would like to keep it that way if you don't mind," Carlos said and shrugged.

My eyes widened at the sudden idea that I had. My lips parted, and I put an elbow on the desk and pointed my pen at Carlos. "I have an idea."

"What exactly is that?"

"Can retirement wait?" I smirked.

Carlos sighed and pursed his lips. "Oh, boy. What the hell are you trying to drag me into?"

"We're having this issue with Arturo. He thinks that we are fucking him over on the guns. He doesn't believe that you are the one who changed the artillery. We're supposed to meet up with him today," I explained.

Carlos nodded in understanding. "And you think that if he hears it directly from me that he might change his mind."

"Exactly."

Aria walked into the study and paused when she saw her dad. "Oh, hey, Dad. I wasn't expecting you so soon. Where is Mom?"

Carlos turned halfway to look at Aria. "Hey, honey. She's going to be here in a little while. She and Tina are having lunch together."

"Your father is going with us to see Arturo," I said.

Aria stopped beside Carlos but stared daggers at me. "What?"

"I think if Arturo hears the truth about the guns from your father, he might have a change of heart."

"I don't think that is a good idea," Aria argued. "We can handle it ourselves." Aria looked as if she wanted to rip my head off, but I didn't understand her anger.

"What's your problem?" I asked bluntly.

"We just got him back. It would be idiotic to put him in harm's way," Aria said through clenched teeth. She placed her hands on her hips.

"Now, Aria," Carlos started to argue.

"No, Dad."

"Aria Marie, I can take care of myself. You do not have to worry about me." Carlos gave her a stern expression.

"If that is true, why did you get kidnapped?" Aria snapped.

"I wasn't expecting any danger that night. I went out to meet with some old friends. That is different than this. When I'm on a job, I know what to expect. Probably more so than you do, don't forget, at one point in time, I was just as capable as Ace and you. That isn't something that fades away with age. With age, you only get wiser and more experienced, and it makes you stronger."