Chapter 16. Allow Him To Live

Carlos looked as if he hadn't showered in weeks or longer and like he had lost weight. Dirt and sweat covered his forehead, and his shaggy black hair looked greasy. "It's me," Carlos said.

Aria smiled and took a step toward Carlos, but I grabbed her arm to stop her. Aria looked at me, confused.

"Wait. I need to know what happened. How do we know you aren't Charles?" I asked. I needed to be certain. It seemed that lately, we were wrong about people more often than not.

Carlos gave me a weak smile. "Charles? What are you talking about? Of course, it's me. Charles died. . ." Carlos trailed off, and his smile faded as he took in our expressions.

"No, Dad, he didn't," Aria murmured.

Andersen rushed into the study and stopped behind Carlos. Andersen could have burned a hole in the back of Carlos's head from the way he stared at him.

Carlos turned slowly to face Andersen. "John. It's so good to see you," Carlos breathed.

Andersen stared at Carlos with wide eyes. "I don't believe it. Rosa said she saw you walk into the mansion, but I had to see for myself."

"What if he is Charles?" Abel asked. "Ace is right. We have been wrong about everything that has happened to everyone. I mean, come on. We buried you. We buried three of you, and somehow none of you are dead. We all saw Carlos's body, so this makes no sense."

"B-buried me?" Carlos stammered.

"Carlos would have a unique scar on the back of his neck," Andersen said.

"How do you know that, Andersen?" I asked. Aria and I walked closer to Carlos and Andersen.

"Because I put it there," Andersen said. His gaze locked with mine, and I couldn't deny the certainty and sincerity in his eyes.

Carlos chuckled. He put his hand beneath his hair and stepped back toward Andersen. Andersen looked at his neck and nodded. Carlos turned for Aria and me to see what they were talking about.

The scar wasn't big, but it was funny shaped and a light pink, like he had been burned.

"I never noticed it before," Aria said.

"His hair hides it," Andersen said. "During a fourth of July when we were kids, I accidentally caught Carlos on the back of the neck with a sparkler. There is no chance that Charles had the same scar."

"I remember. That didn't feel very good," Carlos said and chuckled.

"So, we buried Charles?" Luis arched a brow.

"Must have," Andersen said. "I can't say I believe it either. He looks exactly like you, Carlos."

"Charles died at birth. How did any of you even know about him? I never spoke of him." Carlos gazed around the room.

"I told them because I saw you," Andersen murmured. "I thought I was hallucinating."

Aria bounced forward, and this time, I didn't stop her. Aria threw her arms around her father and hugged him. I stared at Carlos in shock. Carlos had been gone for over a year.

"How did you get away?" Austin asked.

"I escaped, but barely, and no doubt they're looking for me. I'm not certain who took me. They kept me blindfolded. I didn't get to eat much. I need a shower," Carlos said. "We have to figure out who did this."