Chapter 5: The Truth

Dear Self,

   I'm curious. Of a lot of things.

"Th-thank you very m-much," Haley stutters as she hands Penny a bottle of water.

Mark doesn't say anything and just nods, but doesn't leaves.

"I owe you, Mark," Penny says.

Mark does nothing, and keeps staring intensely at Penny.

Because of this, Penny blushes. "Wh-what? Is there something o-on my face?"

He shakes his head.

"Then why are you staring?"

He hesitates for a moment, as if also wondering why, then he looks away.

"Hey, I'm talking here!"

Mark stares. "Nothing," he taps his camera.

"Right," Penny narrows her eyes. She forgot the previous 'conversations' she had with him. It wasn't pleasant. Especially since she was stuck with him, touring him around...

Then she remembered. "Hey, why weren't you going to school the past few weeks? Are you home-schooled?"

He shakes his head.

Penny sighs. "I'm going to have to guess this, huh?" she mumbles to herself. "Were you sick?"

He shakes his head.

"You didn't like the school?"

Another shake.

"Personal problems?"

And another shake of the head.

"Well...you just didn't want to go to school?"

He hesitates before slowly nodding, then he asked himself again, just to shake his head, and hesitates again. He scratches his head and sighs. "Excuse me," he murmurs before leaving.

"Hey!" Penny takes Mark's arm, not allowing him to leave. Mark looks back at her. His eyes were filled with confusion mixed with despair, curiosity, and amazement. She saw them all in his eyes with just one look.

What was he hiding? Penny thought.

She lets go of his arm, and he proceeds to the exit of the school. Penny stared at him with curiosity. As he passed by, girls turned their heads and instantly fell for him, but he didn't even look back, or even glance. Every adult who glanced at him had the same expression that Penny wore.

They were all curious. Curious about this mysterious guy.

...

"Mom, Haley invited me to shop with her!" Penny shouted from her room.

Mom, who was in the kitchen, couldn't seem to hear Penny since the kitchen and Penny's room were far away from each other. "WHAAAT?"

Penny groans. "I SAID, HALEY IS INVITING ME TO SHOP WITH HER!"

"HUN, YOU BETTER GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND TELL ME WHAT IN THE WORLD YOU'RE SAYING."

Penny rolls her eyes and walks all the way to the kitchen. She stops and sighs. "Mom. Haley. Is inviting me. To shop with her," she says through gritted teeth.

"There you go. Now, doesn't that take less effort? Next time, I won't allow shouting in this house. Ya better pick up your feet and move those legs to talk next to whoever you're talking to. My point?"