The Incident

The shadows lifted as Violet opened up the curtains and cleaned up the house making sure that it is all ready for when Desian is back.
"He didn't tell me where he was going... I hope he's okay."- Violet thought to herself.

After a few more minutes of cleaning and finally went on to cooking the Christmas dinner, she hear the door open and close with a tiny creak. "Desian is that you?" She perked up excited to see him.
"Yes it's me sweetie, sorry I was out at the market. It was rather busy today." Desian replied slightly puffing as he cleaned the ice and snow off of his boots and coat before entering the kitchen.
Suddenly he had a sharp stinging pain enter his mind... His body shaking and him holding onto the door frame to keep himself up on his weakening feet.

"Mother..."—He lost consciousness.

He was maybe 7 maximum of 8 years old...His mother delicately handling tools in the kitchen as Desian was playing on the floor with some truck toys his mother brought for his birthday. He was always a cheerful child, loving, caring, cautious and calculating when it came to others in his sights. He was growing quite fast as it if were yesterday he was being held in his mother's loving arms.
Desian watched and sniffed the air for candy he knew so well. It was the candy his mother made whenever it was close to father coming home from the trenches. Desian always hated the fact his father was away; he wanted to get to know his father but he was only ever around for a year before disappearing again for 2 years each time.

Des' started running around the kitchen despite his mother cooking and watching over the food as well as her son. He was precious to her. All she had left if his father had died... Was Desian.
His quickly bumped and bruised his elbow at the corner of the kitchen island and was bleeding. To his cries his mother quickly bent down not forgetting to safely move the oil from the pan to the side. The agonising screams and cries that echoed the room ran down his mother's spine with horror in her eyes as she realised what had happened.

The burning sensation in his arm grew more intense as the oil seeped into his flesh and bone. It was too much to take and he quickly lost consciousness as his mother was quick to act trying to remove the oil and calling the ambulance...

The only cries he heard were of the siren and the deathly agonising pain of his own screams as his mother balled her eyes out in regret and despair. He woke up in the hospital his eyes averted to the white background and adjusting to the light. "Where am I?"