Christmas

1. Jingle Bells" was written for Thanksgiving, not Christmas.

2. In Germany, Poland, and Ukraine, finding a spider or a spider's web on a Christmas tree is believed to be a harbinger of good luck.

3. Two weeks before Christmas is the one of the two most popular times for couples to break up. According to data analyzed from Facebook posts and statuses, couples are more likely to end their relationship two weeks before Christmas and two weeks after Valentine's day, during the spring break. Christmas Day, however, is the least favorite day for breakups.

4. In Armenia, the traditional Christmas Eve meal consists of fried fish, lettuce and spinach.

5. Xmas is a common abbreviation of the word Christmas, however, some people think that this spelling is not right, because it takes the "Christ" out of Christmas. Don't worry, no one is taking the "Christ" anywhere. In the Greek alphabet, the letter X ("chi") is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ or Christos.

6. The first artificial Christmas Tree wasn't a tree at all. It was created out of goose feathers that were dyed green.

7. Iceland has 13 Santas

8. In Germany, Heiligabend, or Christmas Eve, is said to be a magical time when the pure in heart can hear animals talking. They can also see that rivers turn into wine, Christmas tree blossoms bear fruit, mountains open, revealing gems hidden inside and bell ringing can be heard from the bottom of the sea.

9. Christmas is a contraction of "Christ's Mass," which is derived from the Middle English Cristemasse, which in turn comes from the Old English Cristesmæsse, a phrase first recorded way back in 1038.

10. Hanging stockings out comes from the Dutch custom of leaving shoes packed with food for St Nicholas's donkeys. He would leave small gifts in return.

11. The tradition of putting tangerines in stockings comes from 12th-century French nuns who left socks full of fruit, nuts and tangerines at the houses of the poor.

12. Boxing Day gets its name from all the money collected in church alms-boxes for the poor.

13. According to tradition, you should eat one mince pie on each of the 12 days of Christmas to bring good luck.

14. Why red, gold and green? Green has long been a symbol of life and rebirth; red symbolizes the blood of Christ, and gold represents light as well as wealth and royalty.

15. Traditionally, families gather together in the kitchen of their homes to mix and steam Christmas pudding on Stir-up Sunday, the last Sunday before Advent. Everyone takes a turn to stir the pudding mix and make a special wish for the year ahead.

16. Holly and Ivy have been used to decorate homes since the 9th century because they symbolise everlasting life. The holly represents Christ's crown of thorns and the berries his blood.

17. The chances of a White Christmas are just 1 in 10 for England and Wales, and 1 in 6 for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

18. 16 - The average number of Christmas presents a UK child receives.

19. 6 million - The number of rolls of sellotape that will be sold in the UK in the run up to Christmas (5.99 million - the number of rolls where you can't find where the tape ends).

20. According to a survey conducted in 2016, 57% of adults in the UK would gladly sacrifice seeing relatives on Christmas day if it meant they could spend more time on Facebook.

21. According to Matalan, 82% of people surveyed own a Christmas jumper, with 25-34 year olds the most likely to buy one. Over 75% of people buy their festive jumper to wear for a work event, whilst over half wear one on Christmas Day.

22. 6.8 million - The number of iOS and Android devices that will be activated on Christmas day.

23. 4.25 million - The number of British people who will travel abroad for Christmas.

24. Ebenezer Scrooge's famous line "Bah Humbug" almost never existed. Charles Dickens' initial choice was "Bah Christmas".

25. Nearly 60 million Christmas Trees are grown each year in Europe.

26. In the UK, natural Christmas trees outsell artificial Christmas trees by a ratio of 3:1.

27. Christmas trees usually grow for about 15 years before they're sold.

28. On average, three Christmas trees are planted to replace each one harvested.

29. In a recent Yahoo poll, users voted the most popular Christmas film of all time as Home Alone, with The Muppet Christmas Carol second, and It's a Wonderful Life third.

30. The lead role in the film Elf was originally going to be given to Jim Carrey. In the Grinch, Eddie Murphy and Jack Nicholson were both considered for Carrey's part. In Home Alone, the part of Harry was offered to both Robert De Niro and Jon Lovitz, before being taken by Joe Pesci.

31. In Polar Express, when the conductor says "11344 Edbrooke" near the start of the film, it's a reference to director Robert Zemeckis' actual childhood home in Chicago.

32. 32.56 metres - The length of the longest ever Christmas Stocking. It was also 14.97 metres wide.

33. In 1999, residents of the state of Maine in America built the world's biggest ever snowman. He stood at 113ft tall.

34. The most valuable Christmas card was sold at an auction in the UK in 2001 for £20,000.

35. Santa Claus has different names around the world - Kriss Kringle in Germany, Le Befana in Italy, Pere Noel in France and Deushka Moroz (Grandfather Frost) in Russia.

36. A survey has revealed on average, British women do not attempt their first Christmas lunch until the age of 34. Nearly half of women polled said they felt a real sense of achievement when finally dishing up the Christmas dinner and 28% of British men admit that their partner's dinner is better than their mother's.

37. The total amount spent on Christmas puddings by the UK is £48,000,000.

38. Christmas pudding was originally a soup made with raisins and wine.

39. 10 million - The number of Turkeys cooked in the UK every Christmas.

40. Robins on cards were a joke 150 years ago when postmen wore red tunics and were named after them.

hi everyone I really hope you enjoyed this chapter and learnt something interesting. BTW whilst I'm writing this it's only 2 days till Christmas and I'm so exited. Any way I hope u all have an amazing Christmas and I hope it's filled with lots of happiness.

See you in the next chapter!

Baiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik