FOUR ! strawberries and melvalds

꧁  ❛ MY BOY ❜  ꧂
 ᵇᶦˡˡʸ ʰᵃʳᵍʳᵒᵛᵉ

CHAPTER FOURSTRAWBERRIES AND MELVARLDs

CHAPTER FOUR
STRAWBERRIES AND MELVARLDs

"ARE YOU READY YET?"

Steve called up to his sister from the bottom of the stairs. They had agreed to use that Saturday morning to drive downtown Hawkins to the store and pick up a few things. However, in the state Sara was in, it was common that she made herself late and uncooperative. Still, Steve didn't blame her, so he remained patient.

          Sara was frantically rushing around her bedroom, getting rid of any evidence that Billy had stayed over, such as the makeshift ash tray ( a small ceramic bowl she used for hair clips ) she had found, and filling her bag with her purse and makeup. Billy was still in the room, putting his denim jacket on and wondering what on earth her plan was to get him out of the house when Steve was practically guarding the exit.

"Hey, hey!" He stopped her from strutting out the door.
"How am I gonna get to my car?" He asked, looking out of the window and spotting it down the road. He hoped Steve wouldn't recognise it.

"Jump." She told him, opening the door and watching his face melt info horror.

"You expect me to jump out of the window?!" He asked, waving his hands like a madman.

She hesitated.
"Do you have a better idea?"

"Sara!" Steve called once more, "hurry up!"

"I'll see you later." She waved, swinging the door shut, leaving an anxious Billy to climb out of a window, with a gravel driveway waiting for him to land on.

          Sara pranced down the stairs, wearing some baggy, denim shorts and a cream, heavy wool sweater tucked in. She also wore a chunky belt, with a gold buckle. Steve rolled his eyes, as if to say finally! and lead her out to the car, locking the front door of the house.
          Without Steve noticing, Sara peered up a few times, watching Billy's head pop out, his eyes bulging at the drop in front of him. Billy swallowed his fear, and smacked his face to persuade himself to just do it and hope for the best.

          Sara hopped into the car, glancing in the rear view mirror. Steve started the engine as soon as Billy's body fell to the ground. Luckily, he wasn't heard. The radio began to play the last station they were listening to on the drive home after the volleyball game. The chorus of Big Girls Don't Cry by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons blasted through the speakers, Steve rapidly went to turn the volume down whilst Billy sprinted to his car. Their plan, or rather Sara's plan, was successful.

          The drive to the general store was quiet and long, roughly around twenty minutes, the only sound coming from the radio as various songs from the sixties played. Sara enjoyed the silence between the two, yet Steve sat uncomfortably, one hand on the wheel and the other up on his lip, like he was thinking. Once they arrived down town, they parked against the store and trailed in, collecting a basket on the way.