Ch. 4 The Griffins

Chapter 4

The griffins were the creatures guarding the village. They are massive, nightmaresish creatures. Their coats are blue like the dark night sky. Their scaly clawed feet darker than their feathers, some scales shining an ocean blue. The huge wings on their backs, able to cast looming shadows over a tool shed completely, are spread open and flapping gracefully in the air, making loud, thunder like sounds.

I could sense John shaking beside me, but I couldn't judge him, for I was equally terrified. I witnessed the huge creatures flying about, eagerly searching for me and John. Just then, one of them looked down into the canyon river below them,signaled to the other equally massive griffin, and they both flew down and followed the path of the river. Me and John went a minute without moving after that,although it felt like an hour. Neither of us moved from the hedge, both of us too afraid to do anything. Then John got up, dusted himself off, and proceded to reach out a hand to help me up.

I take his hand and get up, my legs feeling like they're about to completely become jelly. We both start to walk in silence away from the clif and the canyon in which those two griffins went into. We're both really shaken up from this near death experience, John probably more terrified than me, considering how he always hated griffins. I glance over at John. I've never seen him so scared before. John is always smiling and laughing, always finding new ways to cheer me up and make the both of us double over in laughter until our stomachs hurt. But now, John is the complete opposite of that. He looks serious, almost expressionless, with a hint of fear in his eyes.

I don't like seeing John like this, scared and serious. I genuinely hope that what we're doing wont change John.