Ch.2 Homesick

Chapter 2

The more she thought about it, going back and taking John with her, the harder it became to shake it off. Then she remembered why she couldn't. She remembered why she was running, and why she and John were hurrying. But most importantly, why she couldn't go back home.

"John" I say "Yes Lucy?" He stops to see what I want. Then a thought came to me. I know I shouldn't say this but part of me wanted to. "Why can't we go back home?" I say even though I should already know the answer to that by now.

I feel stupid saying that, seeing the look on his face so filled with disappointment. He sighs, looking at me, and put his hands on my shoulders. "L-listen Lucy, um, the thing is..." He cut his sentence off. Just one more word, please. His face now looks like he's seen something, like a ghost. He looks shocked.

"Run!" He yells, leaving me no time to stop and think, wondering about what he was going to say next. I start to run and I'm about to look back until he says,"Don't look back, it's too dangerous!" I say nothing and continue to run. Then he stops all of a sudden."A cliff!" I shout."What do we do now?" I ask, panicking, waiting for him to answer me. "No, not just a cliff, but an edge," he says. I'm guessing he's trying to sound wise. "Get on my back!" He says, like I'm not going to die just thinking about it.

I get on his back, ignoring the fact of how uncomfortable this feels with the reminder that we are in a literal life or death situation. As I get on him, he doesn't give me enough time to even think about getting comfortable, as I feel him running fast in one direction. I then realize the fact that he's running in one straight direction and the horrifying,gut wrenching memory that there is a clif edge in front of us.I dont have a single second to scream of fear as I feel John jumping off the ground.