Chapter One | Moving Trucks

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending," - C.S. Lewis

******

THE VERY FIRST thing I noticed when I looked out the window this morning was the large moving truck in the driveway of the house next door to mine. There were at least three workers transporting boxes from the truck to inside the house. The next thing I noticed was a middle aged man aggressively talking to one of the workers that was holding a clipboard.

The house next to mine has been vacant for almost a full year now. The last family moved out because they couldn't afford the mortgage, which is understandable. My neighborhood is on the relatively rich side, but even so, a ginormous house like that is hard to maintain. I take one last look at the family moving in before closing my window and re-entering my house.

Because of this distraction, I'm now slightly late for school. I grab a maroon hoodie and a pair of black leggings. Not only is it freezing outside, I always wear clothes that cover my skin. Next, I go in front of my mirror and take out a brand new bottle of concealer. I open the concealer and start applying it wherever my bruises are. Today I only have three, one on my left cheek, one on my chin, and one on the top corner of my forehead. I rapidly conceal my injuries before heading downstairs.

My brother is already seated at the table, but my mother is nowhere in sight. I sigh. She's probably on the streets snorting cocaine from some rando. I really do love my mom, but it's obvious that she's failed me as a parent. I grab a breakfast bar and lean against the counter, avoiding my brother Aidan.

"You look like a whore." He says bitterly, looking me up and down. I know for a fact that I look the complete opposite of one right now, with my hoodie and leggings, but I don't fight back. "Sorry," I mumble, taking a small bite of my breakfast bar. He rolls his eyes before diving back into his phone. I finish my breakfast bar and start on the expedition to school.

The distance between my house and Willow Creek High School is a brief yet painful walk. Despite it being a mere five minutes to get to school, I have to risk my life and cross not one, but two, main roads in order to get a proper education. And it doesn't help that's it freezing outside.

As soon as I step outside of my house, I'm greeted with a gust of cold air. The temperature makes my skin numb, but I persevere and start my trek. I take a look at the mansion next to my house as I walk by it, and I notice a teenage boy who looks around my age or older standing out in the front. I only get a small glimpse of him, but he is undeniably attractive.

I continue the walk to school, passing the two roads and narrowly getting missed by a car on one of them, and arrive to school. After pushing through a crowd of freshmen, I scout out my best friend, Taylor Knight. Taylor and I only became friends last year but she's one of the sweetest people I know. Me and her are polar opposites to say the least, she's bright and bubbly while I'm more distanced and shy. I'm a whopping 5'4 with honey blonde hair, sun-tanned skin, and turquoise eyes, while she's 5'11 with ebony black hair, pale skin, and almond shaped brown eyes.

"Astrid! Guess what I did last night?" She greets me. She towers over me so when she talks to me, I have to crane my neck to look up at her.

"The whole lacrosse team?" I tease, dialing the combination to my locker. The lock clicks open and I shove two books inside of the storage space. After I finish, I shut my locker and lean against it, keeping my attention on Taylor. Her pale skin flushes pink and she shakes her head vigorously.