Chapter 1

"In the early afternoon, under a gray sky ..."

     A sigh escaped your lips as you stared up at the white pillars supporting the massive roof of the Art Museum. Your classmates chatted excitedly behind you, though none of them seemed to be talking about art. You closed your eyes, sighing yet again in an attempt to release your frustration without hitting someone. This is the last trip of the year, and in two days I won't ever have to set foot in the High School again, you reminded yourself as the crowd pressed you through the gaping front doors.

     "Hello miss, would you like a program?"

     Blinking open your eyes, you nodded and accepted the neatly folded sheet of paper from the woman on your right. The front read "Guertena Art Museum: A Collection of His Works."

     You groaned inwardly. Sure, you loved art. Heck, you practically lived on an art site called DeviantArt where, if you didn't keep track of time, you could spend hours browsing through people's collected pieces. However, that involved the styles and mediums of thousands of different people, not a monstrously large collection of works done by one person alone. Not even Da Vinci was that interesting ... you thought, shaking your head as you were pressed yet again through another set of doors.

     When the class had still been on the bus, the teacher had announced that, once in the museum, you were free to roam where you liked. It was also announced that the bus would be leaving at 15:30. Those who wished to stay longer were welcome to, but were required to find their own way home. While you doubted that anyone would stay longer than was required, you didn't doubt that many, if not all of your classmates would leave early. Unfortunately for you, your parents both worked late tonight, and your teachers hadn't allowed students to drive themselves to the Museum in fear that nobody would show up. While public transport could've been an option, you'd spent all the money you'd earned from last paycheck in preparation for college and wouldn't get paid until this Friday, which did you absolutely no good if you wanted to take a cab now.

     Quietly mourning all the time you knew would be lost, you tapped the pamphlet against your chin. Well ... might as well enjoy this while I must.

     You walked slowly through the hallways, inspecting each detail of the paintings before you. Some were done in cubism, others in realism. There were paintings of people and landscapes and flowers. You were more than surprised to see sculptures mingled amongst the rooms. Jeez ... how many styles could this guy have tried? you wondered.

     The slight hint of respect that you'd felt for Guertena was short-lived, however. Your eye had caught hold of a white couch sitting in the middle of the room. It wasn't a sculpture, just an ordinary couch. Around it was the ropes that fended young children away from touching the sculptures, and a nearby plaque read, "Reserved Seat." You let out a snort. Some people will do anything for money.

     As you wandered some more, a giant painting caught your eye. It was nearly the entire length of the hall, and was filled with explosive color. Not a single bit of canvas was showing through. A small girl stood staring up at the painting, nearly statue-still. Her brown eyes stared up in one fixed spot on the painting, and you would've thought she was dead if it hadn't been for the rise and fall of her chest as she breathed. Both wierded out by the girl's stillness and not wanting to disturb her, you continued onward to the other side of the gallery.

     You proceeded to browse. Three sculptures and eight paintings greeted you in the next room. How on Earth did they think that this place could entertain a group of High School seniors two days away from graduating for three whole hours? you thought, quickly glancing over the sculptures before heading to the back wall. One painting in particular caught your eye. It depicted a young woman with long, brown hair, garbed in a red dress, gazing out at the gallery. "Lady in Red," you read aloud. What a fitting name. You glanced back up at the painting and caught sight of something you hadn't noticed before, shuddering slightly. The woman's eyes were a deep, blood red. It may have just been the color, but you could've sworn there was a slight hint of maliciousness in her eyes.

     Swallowing nervously, you took a step back just as a crack of lightning outside caused the indoor lights to sputter, then fall dark completely. Your brows knotted together, worry creasing your forehead. While you were no longer a child, you were no fonder of the dark than you had been back then. You drew a slow, steadying breath and let it out slowly.

     "No need to worry until there is danger ..." you mumbled the saying your mother had taught you as a small child. Your heartbeat steadied. I suppose I should head to the reception desk, you thought. Stumbling clumsily through the darkness, you hugged the wall as you headed to your destination.

     When you reached it, however, nobody was attending the front. "What the ..." you said, heading for the front doors. You tried pushing them, but they simply rattled, refusing to budge. You tried pulling instead, but to no avail. Panic rising, you beat the door with your fist. "Somebody, please, help me! I'm still in here!" you said. Nobody came. That's when it hit you. Despite the gallery having been packed full when you'd entered, since the lights had gone out, there hadn't been a sound.

     No frightened children screaming alongside annoying teenagers who thought it was funny to do the same. No announcement had been given by any staff to remain calm while the problem was fixed. You had been entirely ... alone.

     Now struggling to muffle your terror, you hugged your arms to your chest and gave yourself a somewhat comforting squeeze. You debated what it was you wanted to do. Should I just stay here until help comes? You shuddered at the thought, shaking your head. I couldn't stand the cark that long ...Desperately, you tried to think of another option. Then your eyes lit up. There might be a breaker box somewhere nearby!

     You mentally hive-fived yourself before starting off. The first room was empty, except for the art pieces, and the room to your right didn't have anything, either. Maybe I should go back to the 'Lady in Red' room ... I think I saw an employee door somewhere back there ...

     You walked slowly, careful to avoid anything that you might trip over. You passed an enormous floor painting of some kind of underwater creature. A shudder passed through your body as its hollow, black eyes seemed to stare straight into your soul. Your pace sped up slightly, as you ducked into the next room. This room was by far the darkest, and your eyes strained to see anything at all. Halting to perform a test, you stuck your hand in front of your face. Nothing. You could see absolutely nothing.

     With a groan, you stepped forward, when a sudden crash halted you in your tracks. Sounds like one of the paintings fell, you thought, moving forward more cautiously. A low, bone-chilling hiss came from deeper in the room, and your eyes widened as you stepped back, backing into the door frame. You could just barely make out the movement of something in the shadows, and you gasped. The creature instantly whirled on you, letting out a deafening roar.

     You screamed and ran without looking back. Unfortunately, you didn't watch where you were going, and tripped over one of the rope barriers, falling on the ground beyond. The creature from the other room dragged itself furiously towards you. It was then that you got a good look at it. Long brown hair dragged behind the creature, its torso clad in a stunningly red dress. From the waist down, however, she was trapped in a picture, or rather, it was the picture. She scraped the frame against the ground as she used her arms to move closer towards you. 

   You tried to take a step back, and instead found your foot sinking in ice-cold water. Quickly removing your foot, you gasped and turned back to see a giant pool of water descending into the ground behind you. What is going on? you thought, panicking. Suddenly, the Lady in Red creature snarled and leapt at you, bowling you over and forcing you below the surface of the frigid water. You kicked and fought to get away, to return to the surface, but the creature held tight. Your lungs were screaming for air, and you opened your eyes to see the strange fish from the painting before swimming towards you. Losing all hope, you let out what remaining air you had left, and gave in to the deep, swirling blackness below.