The merchant behind me began to speak as the group of men walked away, "Those soldiers are supposed to protect us from the fire nation, but they're just a bunch of thugs." I then began to walk back to my mount. As I reached my mount a bright-eyed boy appeared on the other side of the ostrich horse as I was about to hop up and said, "Thanks for not ratting me out." I ignored him, got on my mount and started to get back to my journey. The boy looked non-plussed, then a smile spread on his face and he followed me. The boy took hold of the ostrich horse's bridle and said, "I'll take you to my house and feed your ostrich horse for you. Come on, I owe you." The kid then lead me away from the village as I grabbed my grumbling tummy.

I had dismounted as we walked up a dirt road leading to a farm. A variety of pigs oink and made noise all around us. The noise picked up as we passed the animals. "No one can ever sneak up on us." The kid stated. I tutted and said, "No kidding." The kid then lead the ostrich horse to the farm. I stayed for a moment then I looker to my right only to be greeted by a brooster sheep stopped atop of a fence pole. It crowed at me. A man appeared in front of me in earth kingdom clothes and asked, "You a friend of Lee's?" The kid who I assume is Lee ran out of the barn near us and addressed the man who I assume is his father in an excited tone, "This guy just stood up to the soldiers! By the end, he practically had them running away."

A woman who I assume is Lee's mother goes to stand by her husband in a simple green dress and asked a friendly manner, "Does this guy have a name?" Oh no I can't say Lee but what another name could I use. Think Zuko, Think. "I'm, uh..." I stammered out. Lee's father interrupted my lack of thoughts by saying, "He doesn't have to say who he is if he doesn't want to, Sela. Anyone who can hold his own against those bully 'soldiers' is welcome here." The family look down, sad about something as the father wrapped his arms around his family and continued, "Those men should be ashamed to wear Kingdom uniforms." Sela then began to speak, "The real soldiers are off fighting the war, like Lee's big brother Sen Su. Supper's going to be ready soon. Would you like to stay?" I replied, "I can't. I should be moving on." Sela then spoke again, "Gansu could use some help on the barn. Why don't you two work for a while, and then we'll eat." I nodded my assent at Sela's suggestion.

Gansu and I were atop of the barn. We were nailing roof shingles to the frame. Behind me was Lee stood at the top of the ladder used to access the barn's roof. He watched his father and the nameless stranger i.e. me working. I was on my knees using both hands to hammer in a nail. "You don't seem like you're from around here." Lee stated. I replied with a, "Uh-uh." Lee then asked, "Where are you from then?" I replied with, "Far away." And mid hit Lee said, "Oh. Where're you going?" Before I could reply Gansu said, "Lee, give it a rest. Stop asking the man personal questions, got it?"

Lee sighed dejectedly and said, "Yes." Then brightly asked, "So, how did you get that scar?" Which caused me to slam the hammer into my thumb and stifle a cry of pain through my gritted teeth. "It's not nice to bother people about things they might not want to talk about. A man's past is his business." Gansu said. Once I had recovered, I started to hammer again but it brought I memory to mind.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was sitting by the turtle duck pond with my mum in the royal gardens. We were both wearing our royal Fire Nation clothes/robe. My mum had put out her hand with food for a baby turtle duck which squawked at it. It was fuzzy except where it was covered by its shell. It ate the offered food. I was perhaps ten or eight at the time. Three more baby turtle ducks swam up to us with their mother following behind. Holding a big stone in my hand I asked my mum, "Hey mom, want to see how Azula feeds turtle ducks?" I threw the rock at one of the baby turtle ducks, which disappeared beneath the surface of the water. And my mum, Ursa, asked shocked by my actions, "Zuko! Why would you do that?"