Chapter 22: An Unexpected Meeting!?

hey, this is skyuni! i just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's reading this story, and to the ones that commented/liked! thanks so much, it's very encouraging!! i love you guys lots! <3

and remember, credits go to masashi kishimoto! only the characters/plots i make up myself belong to me (: and there's gonna be some very interesting people coming up (;

happy reading, guys!

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CHAPTER 22: AN UNEXPECTED MEETING!?

???'s POV

"Sensei! Sensei!"

I look up from my book, glaring at the loud redhead who dared to interrupt my reading. The idiot of the team I teach continues to wave his arms wildly above his head, yelling, "I finally beat Akira in shogi!!"

The boy next to him sighs, closing his eyes and leaning back. "Shut up, Hiro... It's not that big of a deal."

"It is too!" Hiro crows, "Nobody ever beat you in anything before! I'm the first one!" He dances in sheer joy and happiness.

Akira sighs again, facepalming. "Idiot." He grumbles and rises to start cleaning up the board game.

"Hey, hey, sensei!" Hiro turns to me, his eyes flickering a bright grey with excitement. "The Chuunin Exams are coming up, aren't they? We can still go, can't we!?"

Akira twitches and falls silent, glaring down at the shogi pieces. He had already lost hope in entering the Chuunin Exams after Kiyoshi, their former teammate, gave up on being a ninja after a difficult mission.

I smirk at the two, thinking of what the Raikage had told me just yesterday.

"Well.." I drawl slowly, dragging in suspense, "the Raikage told me that if you two are willing to team up with a Leaf ninja, you have a chance to enter the Exams."

They both look at me in surprise. "Really?"

I nod. "There's a team of four, and all of them were recommended to enter the Chuunin Exams. But as you know, only teams of three are allowed, so the Hokage sent a message to the Raikage to see if we, the two member squad, wanted to collaborate with the extra Leaf Genin."

"Let's team up with him! Akira, what do you think? Say yes! Say yes! Oh please say yes!" yells Hiro, wriggling in excited delight.

Akira sweeps his black hair away from his icy blue eyes, smirking. "Let's do it."

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sakura's POV

"Morning, people! Sorry I'm late, I got lost on the path of life--"

Naruto and I jump up at the same time, growling, "Yeah, right, you liar!"

Kakashi-sensei jumps down from the railing, clearing his throat. "Um, anyways, this is a bit sudden, but I've nominated you four for the Chuunin Selection Exam." 

All four of us stare at him in complete silence. "Here are your applications..."

He hands four small sheets of paper to each of us. I scrutinize my paper's small print, making out 'Chuunin Exam Applications'.

Tsuki squeals and tackles Kakashi-sensei in a hug. "Thanks so much, Kaka-sensei!"

Naruto copies her and yells, "Kakashi-sensei! I love you!!"

"Hey, stop, let go of me.." Kakashi-sensei mutters, trying to tug them off of him. He clears his throat again. "This is just a nomination. Whether you take the exam is up to you. Those who wish to take it should sign those papers and turn them in at Room 301 by 4pm tomorrow.. Well, that's it."

Kakashi-sensei nods at us and poofs away.

They all grin at each other excitedly, but my heart pounds nervously inside of my chest. I try to shrug it off, but worry claws at me. I dig my fingernails into my palm, biting my lips. I mean, I can't even keep up with Naruto and Sasuke-kun as I am right now... Am I really ready for the Chuunin Exams?

Naruto converses happily with Tsuki, who doesn't pay attention to him. She scribbles into a scrap of paper then stands up, beaming at everyone. "Well, I'm gonna go train now! See you tomorrow, guys!"

 Tsuki pushes the paper into my fists, twists her hands into a seal and poofs away.

I sigh, and attempt to smile. "Yeah.. I'm going to go now, too.." I murmur.

"Bye Sakura-chan!" shouts Naruto. Sasuke-kun nods at me. I scream inside my head with happiness while on the outside, I smile calmly at him and walk away.

When I get home, I toss my weapon bag on top of my desk and throw myself onto my bed in exhaustion.

Should I enter the Chuunin Exams? Reasons I should: none I could think of. Reasons I shouldn't: I'm weak, I'm not up to standards, the list goes on and on. I sigh and stare dully at my ceiling.

I roll over onto my stomach, and something crinkles in my pocket. I pull out a wrinkled ball of paper and unwrap it gingerly, reading the smudged penciled words.

'Saku-chan, I know that you're worrying whether you're really ready for the Chuunin Exams and stuff. You're upset because you think that you're below Naru-kun and Chibi-kun ability-wise, but don't forget that Kaka-sensei recommended you for the Chuunin Exams! He believes in you, and he knows that you're really ready. I believe in you too. You're strong in your own way!

'~Tsuki'

Somehow, Tsuki always knew exactly what I was thinking. I fold the paper and gently set it on my nightstand. Maybe I am ready. Maybe I can do it. I smile and close my eyes, sinking into a deep nap.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mitsuki's POV

I feel butterflies in my stomach as I run my fingers through my hair, semi-consciously braiding it. Kaka-sensei told me yesterday that the two-member team agreed to having me in their group for the Chuunin Exams, and that they'd meet with me today at Training Ground 3.

"Hey, what's up? Are you the Leaf ninja we're supposed to meet?"

I tear my eyes away from the grass and look up at the three ninjas heading my way.

The one that spoke has red hair, gray eyes, and is pretty short. His head protector is tied around his forehead, an emblem of two blobby circes... Hidden Cloud Village?

I frown. Kaka-sensei never told me they were from Kumogakure... I assumed that they would be from a Village closer than that.

The boy next to him has black hair, electric blue eyes, and is taller than him. His own Cloud protector is wrapped around his forehead, too.

The last one is a lot older than them, probably their sensei? Blue eyes, navy blue hair.. My heart nearly stops beating when our eyes lock on each other. It's him. He's here.

My brother.