Chapter 31: The Third Test.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CHAPTER 31: THE THIRD TEST.

Tatsuya's POV

I quietly sit on the wooden chair, watching Hana gently finish wrapping my injured knuckles.

I haven't seen her in four, long years. She has changed, both mentally and physically. She isn't afraid of wounds or injuries anymore, obviously from the way she deftly ties the wrap without a hint of fear. Her face, though still soft with gentleness, has hardened with experience and age. Her eyes have a tell-tale sign of maturity as they meet mine.

My face warms as I notice how long I've been staring at her. "Er... thank you, Hana." I say.

"Anytime, Tatsuya."

We sit there for a few seconds, the awkward silence weighing down upon us. I clear my throat. "What happened? Didn't you used to be afraid of blood?"

She laughs, a soft, tinkling sound so unlike her other family members'. "Well, after I became a Chuunin I started helping Mom out at the hospital, so I didn't really have the time to be scared anymore."

"I see..."

Hana laughs. "So... how have you been? I mean, we haven't seen each other since we were fifteen, ever since the--"

"Chuunin Exams! I forgot!" I jump up and the chair clatters to the ground. I mentally curse at my clumsiness and set the chair upright apologetically. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. My students should be out of the Second Exam by now, and..."

She smiles. "I understand. You should go. It's been nice seeing you, Tatsuya. I hope you'll drop by sometime... I mean, if you have the time, and if you want to--"

"I do want to," I tell her.

Her face reddens as she ducks her head. "Th-then I'll s-see you."

A small smile tugs at my lips as I walk out of the small hospital. I'll see her soon. Something to look forward to...

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mitsuki's POV

Wow... Eight out of twenty-seven teams passed the Second Exam. I frown a little. I remember my brother said that during his Exams, only three teams had gotten through to the Third Exam... What will happen if there's too many people?

I shake my head and grin happily, waving to Naru-kun and his team. Naru-kun excitedly waves his arms back at me. Saku-chan smiles tiredly and  Chibi-kun smirks as he gives me a small, subtle wave. I can see all of Konoha's rookies in this room. I'm glad they all passed.

All of Hiro-kun's teeth show as he looks excitedly throughout the room. His grin grows even wider as he points across the room, nudging Aki-kun. "There's Tatsuya-sensei!"

I gulp, but still turn around. Brother sends a tiny, confident smirk to Aki-kun and Hiro-kun, who shine brightly with pride. But as soon as Brother's eyes meet mine, his face is cold and he turns the other way. My heart sinks, but I refuse to let the tears fall. I grimace and turn to Hoka-sama, who begins to speak.

"For the coming Third Test-- but before I explain that, there is something I'd like for you to know concerning the true reason for the Exams."

True reason?

"Why do we have all the allianced countries taking the Exam together? 'To promote friendship among the countries'? 'To raise the level of Shinobi'?" asks Hoka-sama. "I don't want to confuse you about the true meaning. This Exam is..."

Hoka-sama takes a puff of his pipe and exhales deeply, causing the tension of the room to grow higher. Is? I will him to go on.

"A replacement of war among the allied countries."

"W-what does that mean?" asks Hiro-kun, visibly shaken.

Hoka-sama sighs. "If you go back in time, the current allies were enemies fighting over who would rule," he says. "In order to prevent wasteful fighting, the countries chose a stage for battle... That is the origins of this Chuunin Selection Exam."

A numb quietness washes over everyone. An angry cry breaks the silence.

"Why the hell do we have to do that crap!?" yells Naru-kun. "Isn't this thing for deciding who gets to be a Chuunin!?"

"It is a fact that this exam decides which shinobis have what it takes to become a Chuunin," replies Hoka-sama. "But the Exams have another side, where each country's Shinobi risk their lives to protect their country's prestige."

"But why!?" Kiba-kun shouts. "Why do we have to risk our lives in battle!?"

Hoka-sama lowers his hat. "The strength of the country is the strength of the village. The strength of the village is the strength of the shinobi. And a shinobi's true strength is born only through life-risking battle."

Someone jumps in front of the Hokage and kneels down. "I'm sorry, Hokage-sama," he coughs, "But from here on (cough), as the referee, will you allow me...?"

Hoka-sama nods. "By all means."

The man stands up and turns to us. "Hello (cough), my name is Hayate Gekkou." I stare at his pale face, at the dark shadows under his eyes. He coughs again. "Um, before the third test, there's (coughcough) something I'd like you to do (cough)..."

Hiro-kun nudges me and whispers, "Doesn't he look a little too sick to be here...?" I nod, worried for Hayate-san.

"There will be a (cough) preliminary for the third test," continues Hayate-san, "to decide who gets to participate in the main event."

"Preliminary? What do you mean!?" shouts Shikamaru.

Sakura raise her hand. "Hayate-san, I don't understand this preliminary, but why aren't all the people here allowed to participate in the next test?"

Hayate-san clears his throat. "Um... it seems that the First and Second tests were too easy, and so we have a bit too many people remaining... (coughcough). There will be many guests at the third test (cough), and so we are limited to time.

"So, um, anyways, those who are not feeling well or those who feel like quitting after these explanations, please step forward now, since we will be beginning the preliminaries immediately--"

"What? Right now!?" Kiba-kun shouts.

A silver-haired guy with glasses raises his hand; I recognize him as the one who threw up during the First test. "Um, I'm going to quit."

"H-huh!? Kabuto-san, why are you quitting!? Why!?" yells Naru-kun.

 The guys smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry Naruto-kun, but my body is all beat up. I haven't been able to hear out of my left ear since the time I got attacked by the Sound nins and now we'll have to risk our lives..."

Even without my 'Listen' active, I can tell he's lying. He's hiding something.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

hi! just a quick question-- do you guys want me to skip the fight scenes of the third test and skip right to the next part, or describe everything in full detail?   if i skip the fighting, the story will be able to develop much faster (and honestly i really don't feel like typing out the rest of the whatevers). what do you think? (: