12/21/2018

Okay, so someone somehow got ahold of The Hive Queen early (don't ask me how), and I have exciting news! This is what they found:

The Hive Queen spoilers below!

Here are some facts about The Hive Queen:

-Moon feels guilty over her involvement with Darkstalker, is mildly depressed.

-Turtle thinks that animus magic is broken because Qibli's spell, which prohibits any selfish magic, pretty much just gets rid of all magic.

-I'm almost certain this is not the case, as Turtle did attempt to take off whatever Qibli used to limit their magic. Their magic continued to be "broken". So it is likely the work of someone else, perhaps the "Great Evil"?

-Cricket does have feelings for Blue, probably due to his compassionate nature.

-I'm 90% sure that Sundew in love with Willow.

-The main conflict in the book comes from what to do with the HiveWings. Sundew, Swordtail, and presumably most of the LeafWings believe them to be a lost cause and are perfectly okay with wiping them all out. They plan to use Blue's firesilk to do it, which is horrifying to both Blue and Cricket. Cricket wants to discover the source of how Wasp is controlling the HiveWings and perhaps find a way to save them. Throughout the book, the group argues amongst each other over whether the HiveWings can and deserve to be saved.

-Lady Jewel (of Jewel Hive) seems vain and obsessed with art, almost like a second Blaze. However, we find out that she's actually quite competent, and is only pretending to be dimwitted to escape the scrutiny of Wasp. It appears that her, and Lady Scarab who is her mother, are both sympathetic to the LeafWings and SilkWings.

-The Chrysalis, at least in Jewel Hive, is incredibly small in numbers and are rather pathetic.

-Cricket's mother left her when she was younger, although Cricket still visits her from time to time. Her mother appears to despise Cricket and Katydid.

-The sorta cool reveal is that Katydid isn't even Cricket's sister: she's her mother. Katydid gave Cricket to Cricket's mother in order to keep her safe.

-The biggest reveal is concerning how Wasp controls HiveWings in the first place. Apparently, her mind control powers originate from a plant that she consumes. Wasp stings and "poisons" every HiveWing egg as to link their minds to herself. Wasp can also apply this technique to adult dragons. The reason Cricket is immune to her mind control is because she avoided being poisoned as an egg, thanks to Katydid.

-HiveWings are all basically SilkWings, they only became separate tribes genetically 500 years ago. Even then, they kept intermarrying with SilkWings until it was banned. Any HiveWing with SilkWing blood up to 3 generations up is immune to Wasp's poison. It's explained that elderly HiveWings that fit that description are kept imprisoned in Tsetse Hive. (ouch!)

-Cricket's main development in this book comes from her growing a bit more out of her shell. She definitely grows way more bold by the end of the book, although her core beliefs don't really change. Her inquisitive nature and her relationship with her mother are also major points of interest.

-By the end of the book, the LeafWings have burnt down Bloodworm Hive in a sudden attack, presumably beginning on another war.

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

But I still want to read the book itself.

So yeah.

Hope you guys enjoy the new info!

-ShadowClaw Eclipse