Chapter Eighteen: Shrine of the Bloodthirsty God, PT 2

Start from the beginning

It was Arjiah's turn to frown.

"You're sure he'll be at the shrine?" Katerin asked, trying to keep a positive outlook even as she felt her stomach sinking.

"He has for five moons now. I am confident he will do so again."

"What do you mean a shrine to Val'esis? I thought he was Val'esis," Fykes said.

Avris smiled politely at him. "He is known as the avatar of Val'esis. He is no god." Her tone was sharp before she calmed and continued. "He is strong, and his people believe him to be... imbued with the power of their god."

"Is he truly stronger than the rest of his people?" Arjiah asked while Katerin took notes on her parchment.

"He is larger than all of them. Cruel and vicious. The lizards base their leadership much the same as orcs do. Combat prowess and strength alone decide the leader."

Katerin shivered. The lizards she already fought had been quite strong.

Avris reclined in her chair, her sheer dress shifting in a mesmerizing way. "His mind... is tainted. I do not know if that is Val'esis' influence or not."

"Where is the shrine? If we know its location, we could set up a trap for him when he arrives," Katerin said, a smudge of charcoal on her face.

"We can show you to the shrine whenever you wish. It is hidden in the forest."

"The new moon is quite a while from now, by my estimation. Is it going to be soon enough?" Arjiah said, quiet and composed.

"It is too dangerous to try and approach him at any other time. He only travels in large groups, and is rarely outside of their gatherings."

"The new moon is a long time to wait. My mother may not even be traceable at that point," Katerin said, chewing on her lip.

"Any other way is too dangerous. I'm sorry."

Katerin did not think she was sorry, but she did believe Avris knew more about it than she did. "So we kill this avatar, and you'll tell me where my mother is, to the best of your knowledge?"

"Yes. I give you my word. I will tell you all I know of your mother and her whereabouts." Her face turned serious. "Though I will require proof of Val'esis' death. Bring me his head, and our deal will be complete." She stood from her throne and held out her arm to Katerin.

Katerin grasped her forearm and bowed her head, something she remembered Ra'liel telling her about. Now they had a deal, and a bond on that deal until its completion.

Avris smiled, settling back in her chair. "Is there anything else I might do for our guests?" she asked, with a bright and charming smile.

Katerin paused, glancing over her shoulder. This was not something she had spoken to her companions about. Was not something she should even stick her nose in, but it might make up for the library, if she could pull it off. "There is one thing...if you would hear me out," she said, keeping her nervousness at bay.

"Of course," Avris replied, gesturing for Katerin to continue.

"It seems to me that you have had very few visitors of... our people. I have heard that peace talks have been a rather unpleasant affair." Katerin paused, clasping her hands together. "I am hoping we can change that."

Avris' eyebrows rose and she regarded the people in front of her curiously. "How would we go about that? Do you speak for your people?"

Katerin's expression dropped. "No. I can't make any deal that Sahn-Raidar would abide by... but I know of a man who could. And I would like to propose a meeting between the two of you."