Chapter 28: One Last Time

"I won't let that happen," Chung declared proudly.

"Let what happen?" the captain of the Royal Guard turned to him, a look of confusion across her face, "Getting too close to others?"

The prince shook his head, "No. I mean I won't let harm come to my friends."

Noah gave a single, loud laugh, though the pain in her eyes never seemed to leave. The cocky grin faded as she sadly shook her head.

"It's impossible, Seiker. You can do the best you can for others. But in the end, sacrifices are going to be made. That's what everyone on this island has come to terms with. I just hope it's something you come to terms with, too."

* * *

The last few drops of rain from the passing storm were carefully wiped away from Aisha's face as Chung held her in his arms. She looked as if she were sleeping; as if, at any moment she would be stirred awake by the caress of his hand. He wished it were so. He wished that this was all some horrible dream; that he'd wake up and find himself once more in Ruben forest, still owing the mage an apology for the night before.

He wished he would wake from his coma at the medical bay bed where his friends were there to meet him. Or perhaps he actually found rest after the long hours of patrolling the waterway walls.

Anything would have been better than this.

Chung looked past his fallen friend's head towards the destroyed castle far below. Thousands of demons still occupied the ravaged lands. Like a sea of oil, the black mass looked as if it was trickling downstream towards the Halls of Water. How surprised they would be, Chung thought, to find that their general had left them.

Irim roared, alerting the prince, as well as the second Hameling that carried Useli and Sasha, that they were almost at the waterway.

Light was breaking through the horizon as the morning slowly ushered away the evening storm. Far below, many of the braziers were still lit from the nightwatch and he could already see the red uniforms assembling for their arrival.

The two hamelings landed within the safety of the thick walls as a circle slowly formed around the two large beasts.

"Chung!" Rena called, pushing her way through the crowd with Raven in tow, "Where have you... oh gods..." The elf stopped in her tracks, hand over her mouth, as Chung dismounted with Aisha's lifeless body cradled in his arms.

Rena hurried to them but the slow shake of his head was enough to confirm her fears. The prince slowly lowered the body to the ground. The wound on her abdomen had covered the lower half of his white armor in blood. Chung was shaking. A torrent of emotion wracked his body as it took everything in his being to keep himself from breaking down in front of everyone. Rena carefully approached Aisha's body and tentatively brushed a lock of hair away from her face.

The elf drew in a sharp gasp as she quickly withdrew her hand. Again she covered her mouth as she fought back the tears.

"H... how? How did this happen?" Rena began.

He had been wondering the same thing ever since Sasha and Useli both said that there was nothing they could do. He was sure no one had seen him leave the waterway. He was sure Irim remained out of sight until they were safe within the cover of the giant storm. Yet despite all this... Aisha managed to follow him.

"How...?" Chung whispered, looking at the others for answers but he was only met with confusion.

No answer came and he rose to his feet. His body shook from the storm of anger and sorrow that boiled within him.