Chapter 3 - Prince Alexis of Iskeryl

KAH... Finally ^_^ My new chapter's here.. I'll take some time writing the next one though..

*****************************************************************************************

Striding on the way back to her room, Roxanne thought about what she was told in the study. Join the Royal family at the banquet. No one ever joined the Royal family's dinner except for ambassadors from other kingdoms, or other significant people. Not even the other Speakers had ever done so, then why Roxanne, a muted girl would have the honor?

That was the least of the surprise though. Three announcements, two of them were concerning Roxanne. The quest could be one of them, then what about the other one? Nothing irrelevant could be announced.

Next was the conversation that Roxanne overheard before entering the study. From what the King and Queen said about letting an assassin go and saving Tathiette today - since Tathiette was their only daughter - Roxanne guessed the 'she' they talked about was her. Then what they said about trusting her with something must be about the quest. What would that 'something' be? Concerning the fate of Elrtiv, this very kingdom?

Now the quest. Having a quest meant that she was allowed out of the Palace, which she had never done alone before. For every minute of the thirteen years living in luxury in the Palace, she had never forgotten how her mother died. Katheryne, the former Speaker, and that man. Thirteen years had passed, she still remember that man's voice as clear as if it was only yesterday. She was determined to revenge; that was all that held her from falling apart through all the trainings in both fencing and magic. Now that she was allowed out of the Palace, she would find that man. She would kill him herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In front of the mirror was a Roxanne too beautiful for words. Her hair was tied back with a plain black bandeau and clipped with a few hairpins inlaid with black diamonds. Her gown was midnight blue, perfectly suiting her icy air. She never wore light colours since she was two, the day her white dress stained with red. The memory was just too painful to bear.

"Mistress Roxanne, the King and Queen let me notify you that you are to go with the Prince and Princess." A maid knocked, and opened the door. Roxanne held up a hand to show that she had heard. She waited until the maid had left, and strolled to the outside of Tathiette's door.

"What are you doing here?" Tathiette glared at Roxanne, surrounded by a cluster of maids-in-waiting. Tathiette did look prettier with her hair slightly straightened, but Roxanne could imagine how unwilling she had been to make the change.

Roxanne held out both of her hands in front of her. In fractions of a second her precious silver pen and a piece of parchment materialized in her hands. She quickly wrote down "The King and Queen ordered me to go with you, your Highness." And release both the pen and parchment. The pen faded, while the parchment glided through the air and made its way in front of Tathiette, weaving through her maids in the process.

Tathiette snorted as she read the note, but did nothing further to stop Roxanne. She just pretended that Roxanne was an invisible girl, despite the fact that Roxanne was always more dazzling than her. If there was anyone in the world that Princess Tathiette Auetex obeys, it was her family. She could never say no seriously to the three of them.

Prince Trenton joined them on the way. He was in a formal suit and leather shoes, his hair neatly combed and his eyes glimmering with excitement. That's odd; the Prince was rarely excited, thought Roxanne, before quickly abandoning the thought. Never mind other people's business - that was another survival rule for the Palace.

"You're breathtakingly beautiful tonight, Roxanne." Trenton stared at Roxanne tenderly. Roxanne hid her frown, and mouthed a 'Thank you' before falling to the back of the crew. Trenton was disappointed by her reaction, and sighed as Tathiette tug him beside her. Roxanne felt the death glare Tathiette gave her for Trenton's compliment, and decided it was the best to ignore her.

The banquet was grand, too. Roxanne recognized a few ambassadors from Iskeryl, and the... Prince of Iskeryl. She wondered if one of the three announcements that were about to be made was about them. Iskeryl was Elrtiv's greatest rival; unlike the merciful rule of King Marklan Auetex, King Xavier Kzalite was notorious for his cruelty. Rumor said King Xavier had been dying to take over Elrtiv for years, but no war was ever started between the two kingdoms for two decades.

The Prince of Iskeryl was called Alexis Kzalite, as Roxanne had learnt. He had light purple hair, lazuline eyes - in fact quite similar to Roxanne's - and a charming smile always.

The table was rectangular, with King Marklan sitting on one side, and the Prince of Iskeryl sitting on the other. Queen Isathiana sat at the right side of the King, while Tathiette and Trenton sat at the left side. Roxanne had no idea as to why she was arranged to sit next to Trenton but not with the other ladies on the opposite side, next to the Queen.

Roxanne sat mannerly, but in fact rather bored, absentmindedly returning Prince Trenton's regards, until Tathiette had decided to start a conversation with him. All the way across the table all Roxanne could hear were the ladies' gossips about Prince Alexis. Occasionally some of the ladies would flirt to him, and instantly receiving a wink in return. All was fine with Roxanne, except Alexis was giving her a weird feeling. She was definitely not one of her admirers, but it just felt like she had known him before. Those eyes and hair was familiar. What a strange place for déjà vu.

At last, King Marklan rose from his seat. In a flash, no one was seated, all standing and staring at the King warily.

"You may sit."

Everyone sat back on the chairs unhurriedly.

"I have a few announcements to make before the banquet officially starts.

"First of all, the engagement of my daughter, Princess Tathiette Auetex, to Prince Alexis Kzalite of Iskeryl."

It was followed by a round of deafening applause. There were some small sighs from the ladies, disappointed that the Prince was taken. Roxanne realized that this must be the 'reward' the King and Queen talked about earlier.

"The second is granting a quest to Roxanne Taylor, to find the Prophecy of Lassirysta.

"Last but not least, the engagement of my son, Prince Trenton Auetex, to the only Speaker of Fate, Roxanne Carlisa Taylor. Their wedding will be right after the completion of Roxanne's quest."