Chapter 85 - Final Answers

This is the last proper chapter. There's just the epilogue left. I hope you enjoy reading, to whoever makes it this far~

Please excuse any typos (better still if you can point them out). I was in a real rush to finish this.

And yup. Please leaves comments and all. ^ ^

############################################

Her consciousness emerged into reality. The pain was gone all at once. As Roxanne flexed her fingers, a rush of energy fuelled her, washing away all the lethargy and apprehension from the night before. It felt like as if she’d been submerged in the deep sea and just surfaced, breathing fresh air again.

There was something odd about the atmosphere. Everything was too silent.

Roxanne examined her surroundings cautiously. Prophecy was the first to appear in her vision- she crouched beside Roxanne, fingering her auburn hair. Roxanne leaped back immediately, landing in a defensive stance, gazing back warily.

Prophecy cocked her head to the side, curiosity evident in her eyes. “Who are you?

That took Roxanne by surprise.

Prophecy didn’t remember what happened? What she did? She had forsaken her army in this state – the fearsome battalion of shadows that exploded in front of her eyes just a moment ago?

Roxanne took a step forward tentatively. “What’s your name?”

Her voice was as sweet and angelic as it had been when she stopped talking. It pleased Prophecy. She smiled, baring her teeth, “Sorenya.”

Roxanne returned a disarming smile. Her hand reached out forward as if to touch Prophecy’s shoulder. It shot up and struck the side of her head.

The shot was right on the temple. Prophecy froze and crumpled. Roxanne slowly withdrew her hand. Here she lay sprawled on the ground, a childlike smile on her face, serene. Just hours ago, this very same woman preached passionately about her ideology, one that would subvert the powers of the world and enthral every living and every dead. Just hours ago she had almost singlehandedly brought about the ruin of one kingdom.

So close. Elrtiv had come so close to becoming history.

She had come so close to killing Prophecy with that blow to the head. She’d been so tempted – but at the last moment her hand slowed down and force of the strike was reduced. Prophecy was unconscious, but not dead.

Where is Alzentis?

Roxanne scanned around the room. The extraordinary light had dimmed; the walls were light grey devoid of writing, only now strewn with dried blood, long streaks in some places and patches in others. Here and there the solid walls cracked. Crevices snaked through the ground. Even the ceiling was caved in at some places.

Then she saw him. There in the shadow of Prophecy’s stone throne.