Chapter 72 - Airport

Roxanne fingered through the files in her folders for the last time. Since the plane was to leave in a few hours’ time, she planned to keep her baggage light. Nothing more than necessary would be brought; other things can wait until she arrived at Canada.

She went through the list again.

Confidential reports of the recent occurrences in Elrtiv, with an emphasis to the attack that took place shortly after her departure and significant shifts in the Elrtiv Court.

The two letters she received at around the same time. Her right hand paused in the memory of reading the letters; the queer dream she had of the five young women was still vivid in her mind, at first she had suspected that it was linked with one of these letters, but when she perused them a second, third, fourth time, the dream was not repeated. At the end she had to set it aside.

A record of her own observations of the Eraines. The record from the books had only the most basic information; the knowledge she gained from her brief encounters with two of the goddesses surpassed everything mentioned in the ancient text books. She wouldn’t be the first mortals to meet the goddesses, but there were few records of it, and in them substantial information on the Eraines was surprisingly lacking – so the goddesses themselves preferred to be shrouded in mystery. In that case she couldn’t afford to create an electronic copy of the information or leave this copy behind.

Is there anything missing still? Roxanne ran through the major events in both worlds mentally, matching them with corresponding files. Check, check, and check.

What about the recent serial murder?

It was true that she received report on it, but there was still much vital information kept by the police. With the influence the Lynwoods had it wouldn’t be too difficult to request for it, but that would be impossible in Canada. The confidential information would have to pass through many hands to reach across the continents; she simply couldn’t risk that. Mortals wouldn’t keep their mouths shut at the first sign of anomaly.

That meant it would have to be now, while she was still in Australia. She pulled her drawer open and reached for the bell.

No. That wouldn’t do either.

Right now she knew close to nothing about the culprit behind the serial murder. Whoever he was, she was one of his targets. On land, even in the restricted space of the car, she had a good chance of escaping. In a flying plane there were few escape routes, not to mention the crowd of mortals it would involve. The chances of leaving both her safety and secrecy unharmed were slim. For now there was no telling how far his information net covered; it would be best for her departure to be revealed to as few as possible. Suspicion would certainly stir if she was to request for something urgently.

Roxanne withdrew her hand and shut the drawer silently. There was no choice. She would have to take it herself, then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She would prefer to carry out her plan in the night where her black outfit blended in more, but at this moment there was no time for such thoughts. Her right hand soothed the creases on her left sleeve where half of her were concealed in, eyes scanning her surroundings warily.

Security was down, she knew; she purposely created a false kidnapping case to empty half of the police station, thanks of a particularly hysterical woman deceived into playing the role of the parent, who demanded more attention than a real case deserved. It almost pained her to be reduced to such petty methods – just almost.

As she watched around the corner from the entrance, a female officer sauntered out yawning. A moment later another uniformed officer from outside greeted her and entered the building. Ah, so it was the time for changing shifts. Just to make sure, Roxanne leaned on the wall and focused on the sound.