the two boys entered the room, realising they were both quite late and everyone had already gotten changed and left the changing rooms.

"oops?" m/n laughed as ushijima placed his bag down, immediately changing his shirt.

m/n joined him, taking off his karasuno uniform to put on a clean white shirt. as he looked through his bag, he saw a uniform he never enjoyed wearing. the japan u-19 shirt he had recently been given. he had one for americas u-19 too. but even in u-19, no one made him as excited and alive as karasuno did, not even ushijima.

after they finished changing, they quickly walked to the volleyball courts, where hinata and kageyama seemed to be looking through a small window.

"took you long enough." ushijima said as he walked up the stairs into the gym hall, m/n following behind him but trying to hide his face.

"i'm kageyama from karasuno high. would you mind if i had a look?" kageyama introduced himself.

"kageyama... from kitagawa-daiichi." ushijima recalled.

"yes. i applied for this school, but wasn't accepted." kageyama added in.

"that's not a surprise." ushijima said, shocking kageyama and angering m/n, "i remember seeing one of your matches from junior high. we don't need a settler who can't serve the ace at this school." ushijima blurted, making m/n angrier.

"true, you're not really one to serve anyone." hinata mumbled, making m/n snort quietly.

"what?!" kageyama yelled with a scowl.

"but that goes the same for the great king, too. he is the top setter in the prefecture, after all." hinata mentioned.

"oikawa-san has nothing to do with this!" kageyama exclaimed.

"oikawa... he's an efficient player. he should have come to our school." ushijima added in, making m/n think to himself. 'he definitely doesn't suit this school, oikawas a free animal.'.

"efficient but he still lost to me." m/n did a peace sign with his tongue out, totally forgetting he was meant to pretend that he wasnt there as he saw the shocked looks on hinata and kageyamas faces.

ushijima rolled his eyes and kageyama asked him a question. "are you saying that oikawa-san would have been able to serve you?"

"no matter where he is, oikawa is a setter that can bring the absolute best out of his team. if the team's absolute best is still weak, there's nothing more to be done.  if it's strong, he'll make it as strong as possible. that is his ability. a sapling must have good soil in order to grow strong. infertile soil will not bring forth splendid fruit." ushijima explained, hands held out.

"infertile soil?" hinata asked, crooking his head to the side. the expression on his face gave m/n a rush of adrenaline. this was the expression he loved on hinata. it made him shake from his bones in delirium, made him feel alive, human even.

"what do you mean?" he took a step forward.

"other than oikawa, everyone at aoba johsai is weak. that's what i mean." ushijima clarified. unfazed by hinata.

"weak... if seijoh is infertile soil, are we concrete or something?" he walked up to ushijima. a light in his eye. the type that m/n wished he could have.

a bead of sweat formed on ushijimas cheek as he swallowed his spit.

the crazed look on hinatas face as the air brushed his ginger locks sideways elated m/n. everything about the look made him mad. he wanted to feel what hinata was feeling, so full with devoted emotions that he would express them in such a way.

"i apologize if i hit a nerve, but words from someone who lost to aoba johsai and couldn't even stay in the prefectural finals mean nothing to me." ushijima finished just as a ball came flying from inside the gym. he bent his knees, preparing to jump and as he jumped, reaching his arm into the air to grab the ball, hinata ran. he ran and jumped, catching the ball before ushijima, landing with his back towards ushijima. a creepy grin appearing on kageyama's face as a shocked one infiltrated ushijimas face.

"i'm hinata shoyo, from the concrete. i'm going to beat you, and go to nationals." hinata said, walking to kageyama.

the boys from karasuno glared at ushijima until a teacher came, telling them they werent allowed to be there.

"thank you for showing us around. we'll be going now." hinata said and turned around, walking towards the schools exit.

"um... if oikawa-san is the best setter in the prefecture, i'm the one who is going to surpass him." kageyama bowed, "if you'll excuse me." he jogged over to hinata, them walking away together as ushijima stared at their backs.

"hinata! kageyama! well done!" m/n yelled, making the two turn around. he gave them a thumbs up before waving a goodbye and entering the gym with ushijima.

  "ushijima, they weren't lying. they will go to nationals. i'll make them go."

m/n and ushijima joined into the practice matches.

somehow it seemed everyone could feel the new born rivalry between them.

overall, m/n's team won 4 practice matches and ushijimas won 2. 

even if ushijima was in the top three, he was nothing compared to m/n. no one was anything compared to him. that's what he hated about himself, but not when he was with karasuno. with karasuno, he wanted to win, and he would win. always.

the practice ended and everyone went to the changing rooms.

after m/n changed and exchanged goodbyes with people, including ushijima, he set off for the train station. a couple of minutes after his arrival to the station, the train arrived and m/n got on.

he felt his phone vibrate with a 'ding'.

the message sent from hinata.

he sighed, knowing it would be about earlier.