Chapter 1

People trust me with their pets. They shouldn't.

That's what I thought as I stared at the empty leash in my hand. I gave my tired legs a rest as I sat on a nearby bench. I couldn't return an empty leash to Mrs Lashfield, my neighbour. She trusted me with her extremely dear dog, Flame, a gigantic yet adorable husky. Who had somehow managed to vanish into thin air.

My search across the park and all neighbouring streets proved futile. I tried asking passersby if they had seen Flame, but they all shook their heads and hurried off onto their way to work. It was a normal busy Monday morning after all. Even shouting out her name didn't help, it only made me embarrassed because of the stares I attracted.

I released a deep sigh and tried not to freak out. I stood up, did some stretching and got ready for search part two. As I started to march towards yet another street, my ringtone blasting out of my pockets made me stop in my tracks. Praying it was not Mrs Lashfield, I released a sigh of relief as I saw the name Attorney Kim flashing brightly on my mobile. I took the call.

"Be at the office in 30 minutes."

"Good morning to you too, Boss."

"30 minutes, Haelyn."

"Sir, you may have failed to remember, but today is my day off-"

"I know. And I don't care. Be here in 30 minutes."

I scrunched up my nose in irritation. I started walking again, dragging an empty leash behind me. "But again, sir, I have a pressing matter right now that I need to handle."

An annoyed gruntle was heard from the other end. "Handle it first, or drag your issue to the office and handle it later. I don't care. Your job is the more urgent matter here." And he cut the call.

I put my phone back in my pocket and was about to cross the street and continue my search when I finally noticed her. There was that big bundle of a husky, across the street, under a tree. Taking a dump.

Relieved, I crossed the street and approached Flame who noticed me and acted as if she didn't run away, making me spend an hour searching for her. She lifted her head up, sticking her tongue out, wagging her tail at me. Yes, that definitely didn't bring a smile on my face.

I quickly put the leash on her again as she finished her toilet matters. Seeing that I was twenty minutes walking distance from the office, I decided to do some more additional walks, this time my eyes strongly fixed on Flame and my hands having a stronghold onto the leash.

You will not get away again, buddy.

☆☆☆

I arrived at the Harrington law firm soon enough, entering the steel grey building. Flame sauntered in front with such confidence that she could pass as a worker here. Flame's barking quickly grabbed the attention of all the employees as I headed towards Attorney Kim's office on the third floor. Some were already stepping forward, reaching out to pet her. Flame, attention-loving as she was, wagged her tail eagerly.

"Not now, people," I said as I dragged Flame along, careful not to bump into the desks stacked with papers and files. Reaching at the far left end of the corridor where Attorney Kim's office was situated, I knocked on the door twice and waited. I heard his faint voice from inside telling me to enter. I opened the door and let Flame enter first as I followed behind.

"Come, sit dow-" he started before he stopped at the sight of the enormous dog who went straight up next to him and sat down staring at him. "What is this? You know animals aren't allowed in here, right?" he asked in a clipped tone while narrowing his eyes at Flame.