My Best Friend the Bastard

Jane's POV

Mornings are a bitch.

That is a normal response from me, Jane Rudd. Mornings are the reason why our dreams end.

If you're like me and you have nothing nice to wake up to in the morning besides the ass of your dog in your face, you'd share the same hatred for mornings as me.

"Max," I groaned as I shoved my golden retriever off my bed. He is barely over a year old but is just as annoying as the rest of the male species.

I exasperatedly got out of bed and headed to bathroom. I brush my teeth, washed the nastiness off my face, and brushed all the tangles out of the bird's best on my head.

I placed my hands on either side of the sink and looked at myself in the mirror, seeing the tears brewing in my eyes. Tears, that ran like waterfalls like the night before. Nothing a bit of cold water can't help.

I can barely tolerate this morning. This is the day I've been trying to avoid thinking of for months.

Today is the day that I give up my best friend to the wench of the valley.

My best friend, Harry Styles, and his girlfriend, Kate Hartford, will soon be engaged in about twelve hours from now.

With reluctance, I pushed myself off the counter and headed to my closet to change into my black leggings and a grey oversized sweater. I put on my white leg warmers and hiked them up so they are visible with my black combat boots.

I went back into the bathroom to tie my hair into a tight ponytail and secured my hair into my beanie.

I have never been comfortable showing my hair to people. The tangled, thick locks are always hidden under beanies no matter what the weather.

I unplugged my phone from my charger to check the time. Realizing I was going to be late, I ran out of my bedroom and down the spiral staircase and into the kitchen.

"Morning, dear," my mom greeted me.

"Morning, Mom," I kissed her cheek and grabbed the bacon she just placed on the serving plate." I'm running late to Harry's."

"It's not even noon yet, dear," my mother gave me a questioning look," how could you possibly be late?"

I grabbed a protein shake of the fridge and turned to answer her.

"We have to do the final prep for his proposal."I groaned."I really have to go, Mom. Just tell Dad I left and I love him."

"Okay, sweetheart," my mom cooed," will you be back before dinner?"

"Probably." I nodded." I don't want to stay too long."

I left the house and began walking the five minutes it took to get to Harry's house. The winter air slapped my face as turned the corner.

On my silent walk, my gaze fell upon the children's park. I smiled at the memories of me and little mop top Harry throwing mud pies at each other at that very park.

Harry and I are like a friendship meant to be. Our families have always been friends. From our grandparents to our parents, it was only explanatory how we became like two peas in a pod.

Harry and I went to elementary school with Kate and now, fifteen years later Harry and Kate were about to be engaged.

We have always looked out for each other. I only want the best for Harry. Which is why I am so against Kate. They have been dating for ten months and have done the break up and make up about six times. I say 'about' because one of those times, both were drunk and didn't remember they broke up.