Chpt.5

[(AN) short chapter ahead]

"Okay."

I leave her in the room to unpack as I head to the source of the noise. I get nervous as I stand outside the kitchen door. I can hear him in there. He's... humming? Weird. If he's not drunk he must be high... or something.

I build up my courage and walk in.

I stare at him moving around the kitchen before he notices me. He turns and smiles. Um did I miss something. He never smiles. at least not anymore. Seriously who drugged him.

"Oh! Miyeon! Come sit down, have a snack. I just started cooking so dinner won't be ready for over an hour."

He looks around me.

"Where's your friend?"

"Unp-packing."

"Ah. Okay."

He pulls out a chair for me and motions towards it.

"Come. Sit down. I'll get you some fresh fruit."

"Th-thanks but... I-I'm not hungry."

"Nonsense. You should eat. You've had a long day."

Knowing it's not good to go against my dad I come to my senses and sit down, letting him get me a snack.

"Here you go. A bowl of fresh fruit. Why don't you go get your friend so you two can share it."

"O-Okay."

I turn to get up but rose walks in as I do.

"Hello!"

He turns and smiles.

"Oh! You must be the new friend. Im Mr.Jung but you can call me Jinyong."

"Oh um. Hi Mr.Jung. I'm Park Chaeyoung. But I prefer Rose."

"Please, don't be so formal."

"oh. Okay."

"Come sit down. I got you girls a snack. Dinner won't be ready for over an hour now. I just started."

"Okay."

Rose comes and sits down across from me. We eat in silence as my dad moves around the kitchen swiftly.

"Rose and I are gonna go to my room now."

I push her out the door before she can protest and lead her to my room. Once I'm sure my dad didn't follow us I shut the door.

"What was that about?"

"Uuuhhhh...."

"Miyeon??"

"He's uh. He's never like that."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... For starters... this is, the first time in about 5 years that, I-I've come home and didn't get screamed at."

.
.
.

"Don't say anything."

"Okay."

We sit in silence for a few minutes until she looks at me and speaks.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah sure."

"I don't know if this is a sensitive topic or not but... where's your mom?? I mean I haven't met her and you've never even mentioned her."

I stare off into space.

"Sorry. I should have known it was a touchy subject."

I don't know why but I suddenly hug her and start crying. She sits still in shock, then slowly wraps her arms around me. We sit like this until my dad knocks on the door. I sniffle.

"Yeah?"

"Dinners ready."

"Okay. We'll be right out."

We go wash up and head to the dining room.