♕ five

ashton's clothes were still damp from the event that happened earlier. he was shivering like crazy, and wanted nothing more but to sleep in his room inside the castle where it was warm. but he couldn't, he was still punished from going to the market and had to sleep outside.

the air was chilly, a small gust of wind following. the wind would feel great if it were summer, but since it was fall, slowly morphing into winter, it only made the outside colder.

ashton set up a small bed in the stable. it wasn't as cold, but there was still a chilly draft. his blanket was inside, and he couldn't retrieve it since he's not allowed in his room until his punishment is over. so for the past two nights, ashton has been sleeping without a blanket and it was an absolute nightmare.

his blanket wasn't thick, but it still kept him somewhat warm. now, he had nothing, but he deserved it. he broke a rule, and now he's serving his punishment like he's supposed to.

the wind was picking up, and ashton could sense that it would rain soon. the skies were covered with dark clouds, and he could smell rain. soon enough, the rain started pouring and ashton was stuck inside the stable. the sound of the rain hitting the tin roof was comforting in a way. 

ashton sighed, sitting up and pressed his sore back against one of the stable doors. he had been working extra hard today since the king wasn't having a good day, and added more chores to the list. he didn't want to upset the king even further, and did as he was told, no matter how much pain he was in.

his rib was started to feel worse, and bending over felt like a house was sitting on his chest. the bruise was only getting bigger as the days pasted, and ashton was starting to get worried.

ashton has finally gotten somewhat comfortable, until a shout was heard.

one of the knights was standing at the entrance of the stable, his arms crossed and eyes narrowed. "what are you doing in here?"

ashton slowly stood up, wincing at the pain in his back and rib. "i-i was punished to sleep outside, sir."

"you're in a stable, slave." the knight snapped.

ashton flinched. "sir, it's raining."

"i do not care! you are punished to sleep outside and you are in a stable all comfortable! do you wish to worsen your punishment?" the knight shouted.

ashton shook his head quickly. "n-no sir."

"then get out there. i am letting you off with a warning, slave. if i see you again in here at night, i will address it to the king." the knight ordered.

ashton nodded his head quickly and immediately walked out of the stable. his whole body was trembling with fear, and coldness. the rain soaked him quickly, and ashton shivered. the grass was squishy, the ground starting to flood a bit from the heavy rain.

"what are you doing just standing there? you have much to do tomorrow, lay down sleep." the knight snarked.

ashton didn't move. his body was shaking from the cold, and it felt like he couldn't do anything because he was shaking so bad.

"i said lay down!" the knight yelled.

ashton was shoved to the ground, and he gasped at the pain that was directed at his rib.

"hey! do not push him!"

calum came running up to see what harm was down, and grew angry seeing ashton gripping his rib.

"your highness, go inside, you will get sick." the knight ordered, glaring at ashton.

"and he won't? he is ordered to sleep outside, correct?" calum asked.

the knight nodded his head.

"then he may sleep wherever outside. my father did not say specifically where he shall sleep outside. it is raining, and if he get's sick that's one less servant that cleans. my father would not be happy about that now would he?"

"no your highness, i am sorry." the knight said sincerely.

"good, now go back to your post. you are lucky i do not report this to my father." calum ordered.

the knight ran off, fearing to lose his job or to even been killed, depending on the king's mood.

calum waited until the knight was far off and kneeled down to ashton's side. "are you okay?"

ashton sat up on his own, and turned away from calum. "i'm fine. now why don't you go and order around another servant, because that's all i am to you, aren't i?"

calum furrowed his eyebrows, and then realized what he said. he bowed his head in shame and sighed. "i am so sorry. you are more than a servant to me, i swear. if i would have treated you differently, that knight could have told my father and you could have been punished further, hell, even killed if he knew. i don't wish any more harm towards you, and i apologize for my words."

ashton sighed, beating himself up for being mad over something stupid. he should have known better than to think of calum like that. the prince has been so nice to him since he's arrived, and now he chooses to be rude because of one comment? but can he blame himself? well, no. he's so used to being talked down on just because he's a servant.

"i should be the one apologizing. you've treated me so nicely ever since i've been here and i say that." ashton mumbled.

"well, i guess we can both be sorry." calum chuckled.

ashton's lips curled into a smile. "i guess so."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕