° thirty-one °

Tin didn't think he had changed, he didn't think anything was obvious - but this was Pete. What did he expect?

Tin had been seated at a cut off table in the school's cafeteria, plastic fork fishing for the salad in his plate before he guided it to his mouth, other hand occupied with his phone. Can had started taking a tad bit longer to reply ever since he had asked the shorter out, but Tin didn't mind as long as they continued talking.

He had been so engrossed in refreshing his chats every instant, that he hadn't noticed when Pete quietly slid into the spot next to his, backpack at his feet and he, leaning forward so as to sneak a peek at what Tin was doing on his phone.

It was when the brunet's hair tickled the side of his face and obstructed his vision, that he snapped out of his daze and hurriedly stowed the device away.

Pete dropped into his chair, arms folding upon the table and lips smiling knowingly at his friend.

"Morning, Ai'Tin."

The latter squirmed in his seat, uncomfortable at the glint in the other's eyes.

"Morning."

Hearing the reply, Pete moved in closer, his  torso brushing against Tin's, making the taller lean away.

"I wanted to ask; how come I've been seeing you and Ai'Can together lately?"

"What?"

Pete set his chin onto his open palm, fingertips tapping against his cheek.

"I mean, I was with Ai'Ae at the market three days ago and I saw you two together," he explained casually, unbeknownst to him the panic which fizzled within Tin's chest, "I never imagined you would go someplace like that, Ai'Tin. I couldn't believe it was you."

"It wasn't me."

A stare was all it took and -

"Okay, it was me, but. . ."

Pete let out a sigh, turning to Tin with a more serious demeanour, but a kindness in his eyes which seemed to read into Tin's every thought, hence him lowering his gaze to his salad.

"I'm not saying it's bad or anything, Tin. I'm actually glad you have a new uh, friend."

Tin didn't really know what to say, but he could feel his ears burning hot and he hoped that the boy abreast him wouldn't notice.

"He's - He's not that annoying, s'all."

Pete hummed, an underlying satisfaction evident in the sound and a grin on his face.

"I need to go discuss something with a professor," Tin eventually said, lying through his teeth but desperate to escape. He had begun feeling far too exposed beneath Pete's aware eyes.

Sliding his phone into his pants' pocket, he picked up his food and stood to leave after fitting the strap of his bag onto his shoulder.

"Good luck with him, Ai'Tin," Pete said, just before he was out of reach, and Tin had an inkling that it wasn't referred to his professor, but he kept walking away anyway, not letting his steps falter.

It only took a few minutes of waiting and Ae was on the opposite side of the table, tray of food set in the space between them so that he and his boyfriend could share.

"On my way here I came across Tin."

Oh gosh, here we go.

Pete was well aware that Ae had a deeply rooted hate for his best friend, and adding that with his jealousy meant a sure disaster. He didn't particularly dislike the fact that his partner was the jealous type, as at the end of the day, he was never controlling or overbearing, and Pete was free to do what he wanted, but it was frustrating when his mind kept getting ideas which should never cross it in the first place.