No Boys Allowed

2

Soon Elena's sixteenth birthday arrived. Natalia and Elena decided to cook a celebratory dinner. Elena had a love for cooking and since Natalia was so controlling she had never complained about cleaning up afterwards. Since Elena had a definite love of cooking she was contemplating on making it a career. Elena's mother was not a great cook and let Elena do most of the cooking that day always with Natalia's help, of course.

Elena's mother expressed that she had wanted her to go to college but Natalia attempted to persuade Eleana into going into a catering business together instead. Elena mentions to Natalia that her mother dosen't think that's a very good idea. Eleana asked Natalia if she ever wanted to leave town. Natalia gives her a nonchalant anwser and says that they could skip college and simply move to a city and live a wild lifestyle enjoying the nightlife. Although Elena was slightly tempted by the idea, she knew her father would be terribly upset with her and that college was the better option without a doubt. Natalia reluctantly agrees.

College showed differences between them from the begining. Elena struggled to pass every test and studied hard, never earning more than a B grade, while Natalia skipped classes, never studied and passed every exam. After freshman year, Elena knew she wanted some vacation time. Natalia decides she wants to go to Hawaii Elena begs her parents for money so she can go along too. That vacation changed Elena's life in more ways than one. The first change was Natalia. So, after getting of the plane in Honolulu Elena notices right away how pale and sick Natalia looks and and they go to a hospital nearby. Then they discover that Natalia has apendicitis and would need immediete surgery and several days of hospital stay. Elena sits in the same old chair she had been sitting for hours all afternoon feeling bewildered and thinking of all the times Natalia had been there for her in tough times. Now Elena felt strange in a a city that was unfamiliar to her where she didn't know anyone and was unsure of how to get to the hotel that was booked in advance.

A tall, slender, dark haired stranger with hazel eyes in operating scrubs seemed to break Elena out of her worrisome thoughts. " Excuse me miss, are you allright ? I noticed you've been sitting there a while. " he asked out what seemed genuine concern.

Elena seemed flustered at first and said, " Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for asking. " Her eyes swiftly scanned his nametag which read, Andrew Carmichael, Medical Assistant.

"I know you have a friend in surgery and could show you where her room will be once she gets out. "

Elena starts to say, " Yes, that's fine. " but can not seem to hold her composure for long for being concerened over her her friend. She tried hard to hold back tears she didn't realize would come at any minute.

He sat next to her in an empty chair. " Take it easy, " he said calmly.  " You seemed overwhelmed. "

Feeling embarassed, she tried to convince Andrew she was just fine. She glanced at her watch and tried to think of a definite plan. He glanced at her suitcase and Natalia's and assumed she had arrived in town as a traveler with her friend, which were set aside on the other side of Elena's chair.

" You just arrived in town, havn't you ? " he gestured towards the suitcases.

"Yes. " she said

" Have you been to your hotel yet ? I'm about to get off duty and can give you a ride to your hotel and and help you get settled in. "

They both picked up a suitcase and walking along for a moment, Elena stopped to ask, " Why are you doing this for me ? "

" Believe it or not, I happen to be a nice guy and I think you're cute. "