Seizures

Description: Awsten has strange seizures, so Geoff and his friends take care of him. When a jealous ex-best friend turned stalker gets added to the mix, Awsten goes missing from work. It's up to Geoff, Jawn, Otto, and Travis to find him.

Not really Gawsten but it's cool!

The bad guy isn't based on a real person!!

This one sounds super weird, and I wish I could say that I made it up slsldjsdkdj. This happened irl- I'm literally just changing the names of everyone involved.

1437 words.

🛒🛒🛒

"Where's Awsten? He isn't answering my calls," Otto asks, and I pause.

Preparation for the capitalist hell holiday- Black Friday- has begun, so having to think of something other than the displays I'm putting together makes my brain sputter for a moment.

"What do you mean? I thought he was in grocery," I answer, and Otto's eyes widen.

Uh oh.

"Call Jawn, I'll ask around. Meet at the fitting room in ten," I instruct.

After using the intercom to call Awsten to the fitting room, asking the people in his department when they last saw him, and checking the bathrooms, I make my way to the fitting room. The purple-haired boy isn't in sight, but Otto is.

"He's not here! Grocery hasn't seen him in an hour. Did you call Jawn?" I rush out. Panic has set in and I'm breathing heavily from running across the store twice.

Awsten has seizures. He had an accident and suffered a head injury a year or two ago- or at least we're all pretty sure that's what caused it. About six months after the accident, the purple-haired boy started going catatonic every once in a while. He would freeze up and seemingly space out, unable to do anything in terms of communication except blink his eyes. The worst part, however, are when his muscles completely tense and lock up.

After getting on a first name basis with the staff at the neurologist's office, the doctors finally came to the conclusion that he was experiencing some form of seizures, and started him on medication.

Me, Otto, Jawn, and Travis have been here through the whole journey, vowing to take care of him until he finds the right meds and goes at least a year without any seizures.

"I did, he said he'd call me back in just a moment," the curly-haired boy says, and I nod.

I try to call Awsten, hoping he'll answer for me, but the line just rings for a moment before going to voicemail. He doesn't answer. Damnit.

Otto's phone rings, and he answers it and puts it on speaker.

"He's with Michael. Travis and I are trying to get there but we're stuck in traffic. There's been an accident on the highway, and we aren't moving any time soon," Jawn explains, skipping the greeting.

Otto looks up at me and nods. We both dash toward the back room to clock out for lunch. I'm sure Jawn can hear our footsteps, just as we can hear the engine of his car.

Michael is bad news. He's obsessive and controlling, and we all decided that it'd be best if he stays out of Awsten's life. Awsten agrees, too.

When his seizures started to lessen due to medication, we all still kept an eye on him, but gave him more room to breathe. With Black Friday approaching and all of our distracted asses running around with freight and carts and displays, I guess we let him stray a bit too far.