Chapter 29: Open Sesame?

Start from the beginning

"Alright, we shall talk about this attitude of yours later...I have to figure out where the recording is..."

Before Manik could answer, I heard a voice echo from outside.

"Nandini beta, are you awake? Where are you?" I heard Meenakshi aunty yelling in a confused tone outside.

Shit! I had to go outside immediately!

"Manik, I have to go! Aunty's right outside!" I whispered.

"Okay...just be careful!" He said, yet again.

"I will!" I said, before cutting the call.

I stuffed the phone inside my top in order to conceal it, took a deep breath and finally unbolted the door.

"Nandini! When did you wake up? Are you feeling alright?" Aunty rushed to me when I stepped out of the door.

I put on a show of weakness and said. "I'm feeling a little dizzy but I'm okay otherwise...I just had to use the washroom so..."

"Come sit here beta...the doctor said you're very weak..." She said, as she dragged me to the bed.

Her concern was endearing and I felt a resurgence of guilt at fooling her in this way!

After I sat down, she kept a tray of food near me and said. "Have some dinner, beta...you'll feel better! And you must rest here tonight! Strict instructions of the doctor! So off to bed immediately, after eating! I'll listen to your side of the story in the morning..." She said, sincerely.

"Really?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"Yes...Mukesh and Madhyam don't seem to trust you, that's why they've locked you up...but I'm willing to give you one chance! For Kishori's sake!" She said.

I held her hand and expressed my gratitude. "Thank you so much, aunty!"

My gratefulness was genuine! If it weren't for her, my plan would have never worked!

"So eat quickly, and go off to sleep soon! Good Night!" She said, as she got up from the bed and exited the room, while a servant locked it again.

I waited a few minutes after she left, and decided that it was best not to touch the food. After all, Madhyam and his father were talking about killing me barely minutes ago, and I didn't want to push my luck!

What if they had mixed some sort of poison in the food without aunty noticing?!

I opened the bag and stuffed the burner phone back in it. I then contemplated various ways using which I could find out where the recording was hidden. But for that, I had to get out of the room first! I knew it was risky, but it had to be done!

I took out the toolbox from my bag, and found a pin of approximately the same size as the keyhole on the front door.

I then proceeded to pick the lock as effectively as I could in order to get the door to open.

It took a few tries, but ultimately, the door clicked open.

I peeked outside to see if anyone was watching me or not! Thankfully enough, it seemed like most of the servants had retired for the night!

I tiptoed outside, and decided that the most probable places where the recording could be hidden would be the closest to Mukesh Singhania! A man like him would want to keep his treasures as close to him as possible!

When I walked discreetly, past the balcony, I heard a voice yelling in the distance.

"Soha! Baby! Just relax! She's just here for one night! We'll throw her out tomorrow! It's only because of Dadi she's staying anyway!" Madhyam said, in a calming voice.