Chapter 8: Monster or Saviour?

Bangalore-Goa Highway, 3:45 am.

I was awakened from my slumber by a sudden and sharp jerk. I opened my eyes and had a good look at my surroundings. Wait, a second! Where am I? It seemed to me that I was inside some SUV, but the interiors of the car seemed completely unfamiliar. I looked sideways and spotted Manik. I remembered us dancing together and started blushing like a fool.

Suddenly, all the terrible events that followed came back to me and I started to panic! Aiyappa, why couldn't all of this just be a bad dream? I had officially been kidnapped! And it was due to my own stupidity! Why did I have to mistake Manik for Madhyam? Just because of how handsome he was? Nandini, you behaved exactly like the bimbos you criticize all the time! Chacha-Chachi must be so worried! What am I going to do now?

I looked at his face which displayed a highly bored expression. He sighed and got out of the car and opened the door to my seat. Aiyappa, what does this monster have planned now?

"Come out!" He ordered.

"Why?!" I snapped.

"Listen, it's nearly 4 am. and my patience is wearing thin! So, just do as I say! I'm really hungry and I suppose you have skipped dinner too. So, let's just get something to eat!" He said.

I looked outside the car and saw that he had parked the car in front of a dhaba. My stomach grumbled as I inhaled the inviting aromas of the food. It was so tempting to go out and have a meal, but there was no way I was going to listen to this monster's orders!

"No!! Absolutely not!" I screamed in his face.

He gave me a frustrated look and said "So you've decided?"

"Yes!!" I said in determination.

"Fine, then don't blame me for what I do next!" He said.

"What?!!..."Before I could complete my sentence, he picked me up in his arms and started walking towards the dhaba.

"Manik, put me down! What are you doing? People are going to stare!" I shouted. I kicked and flailed about in his arms. It seemed impossible to get out of his strong grip!

"I'll put you down...but you have to do as I say! And I don't want any trouble! One cry for help, and I won't waste even a second before I tie you up! Understood?" He said giving me a stern look.

"Fine!" I said. Nobody could win an argument against this hulk!

He put me down immediately and we walked over to one of the tables. As soon as we sat down, he picked up the menu card and looked at it with an expression of disapproval.

"What the hell is this? They have only South Indian food-that too only vegetarian!" He said in irritation.

I rolled my eyes. Why wasn't I surprised? Punjabis and their obsession with food! On top of that, a rich brat like him had probably never had a meal in a dhaba before!

"Haan...Mr. Malhotra...Yahaan toh aapko lasagna aur pasta bhi milna chahiye tha,na?" I said, my voice laden with sarcasm. "What did you expect?"

"Just shut up!" He shouted.

I mentally patted myself on the back in approval. I had succeeded in irritating him! Score for Nandini Murthy!

When the waiter came to take our order, my jaw dropped listening to his words.

"One plate Vada, one upma and one masala dosa...and what will you have?" He asked pointing at me.

What? He was going to eat all this by himself? Bhukkad kahin ka!