Chapter 18 : Plotting and Planning

10 pm, Murthy House, Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore.

"Aap itne relaxed kaise ho saktein hain? Aren't you worried about Nandini?" I asked my excruciatingly calm husband, Venkatesh Murthy, in frustration.

"Shanno ji, tension lene se koi problem solve nahi hogi! The police are searching for Nandini, right? There's nothing we can do at this point..." He said, in a dejected voice.

"But how can you pretend that nothing's happened?" I argued.

I was beyond worried! It was a miracle I was even sitting still because I had been restless for hours. When Nandini had called me last night, I had finally found a ray of hope! I finally believed that we would be able to get her back home. I had alerted the police of her location immediately after she sent it to me, and they said they would call as soon as they tracked her down. I was still waiting for their call to come...hoping that they had found her. I had even called the police station multiple times to find out whether they had any news, but it was of no use! They were entirely dodging my calls and requests! The police force was filled with such amateurs! I should have tried to find Nandini myself! I couldn't help but feel responsible for her state. It was our responsibility to protect her and we failed! What would her parents think if they were here today? How could Murthy Ji just take it all so lightly?

"Shanno...I care about Nandini, just as much as you...but we are doing all we can. Even I'm scared, but I'm sure nothing's happened to her. After all, she gave you a call, right? Maybe she managed to escape from there...maybe she's on her way home right now! She's a very smart girl, you never know..." He said in an optimistic tone.

I really hoped Murthy Ji was right. I silently prayed to Nandini's Aiyappa to keep her safe from harm. My prayer was interrupted by the doorbell.

I sprang up from my seat and hurried to the door as soon as I could. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see three police officers standing before me.

"Madam, kya hum andar aa sakte hain?" The policeman who seemed to have a higher rank in the force asked.

"Haan...andar aaiye" I said, immediately and ushered them inside the house.

As soon as they took their seats I asked, "Have you found Nandini? Where is she? Is she okay? Did you use the location I sent you?" I bombarded them with a myriad of questions.

"Madam, calm down. We'll tell you..." one of the officers said.

"Toh bataiye..." I said, unable to keep cool any longer, as Murthy Ji joined us in the hall.

"Ma'am we did use the location to trace her, and the team we sent, found her too, but...Manik-her kidnapper-managed to evade the police yet again..." He answered.

"What? How can you be so irresponsible?" This time Venkatesh beat me to it.

"Sir, we tried our level best, but we underestimated him. He's highly skilled in combat! We sent five policemen and he managed to fight them all off..." one of the officers said.

Manik Malhotra! I would kill him if he ever appeared before me! Dikhne mein toh kitna sona lagta hain- but how dare he do this to our precious Nandu? On top of that, the press was saying that he was a murder suspect as well! My hatred for him knew no limits at this point!

"You should have been more careful! We had only one chance- and you people ruined everything!" I said, in frustration.

"Madam, if you don't mind me asking, may I propose the possibility that she's escaped with Manik willingly? After all, Manik is known to be quite the charmer among young women..." said the senior officer.