Chapter 14 : Conflicting Emotions

6:30 pm, Srivastav House, Karwar.

"So, are you both on your honeymoon, then?" Alka aunty asked us, with a broad smile on her face.

I was extremely uncomfortable with this. I was a horrible actress and a terrible liar as well. Aunty would definitely figure out that there was something fishy between Manik and me. Especially, since I was so pissed at him! My panic was increasing every minute.

"Haan, aunty...kuch aisa hi samajh lijiye..." Manik replied with a smile, pulling me further closer to him.

I looked at him with wide eyes as he tightened his grip on my shoulder. I didn't even know why I was so worried! Lying came so naturally to Manik. Why wasn't I surprised? After all, he's a first-rate con artiste. First, he lied to me and now he's doing the same with aunty! However, I had to play along. I definitely needed a place to recuperate after such a long journey.

"Beta, tum dono kapde change karlo...woh room mein tumhe mil jayenge...varna, beemar padne ke chances hain." She said pointing to one of the rooms.

Finally! What I was actually here for! I immediately stood up to go to the room, when I remembered that Manik's wound needed redressing.

"Aunty, do you have an antiseptic lotion? Like Dettol? Or even Savlon?" I asked.

"Yes beta, you'll find a first aid box with all types of medicines in the leftmost drawer of the cupboard. But, why do you need it?" She asked in an inquisitive voice.

"Woh aunty, I slipped and fell in the rain water, and I scratched myself on a rock." Manik said in a monotone. Of course he had the perfect cover story!

"Oh, I hope zyaada nahin lagi, both of you go and change immediately! Aur agar koi madad chahiye, toh please call me!" She said, in a pleasant tone.

"Thank you so much aunty!" I said, genuinely grateful for the help.

I immediately made my way towards the room and Manik followed. I opened the cupboard and took out the first aid kit.

"Sit on the bed!" I said in a tough voice, and Manik immediately complied.

I went towards Manik and removed, his t-shirt without giving him any prior warning. He seemed taken aback by my actions, but he kept his mouth shut. I examined the wound, carefully. Aiyappa, thank you! There seemed to be no infection, but the wound hadn't healed completely. I immediately started cleaning it with a swab of cotton dipped in Dettol. I tried my best to distract myself from ogling at his perfectly crafted abs, now marred by the blemish the gash had left on his torso. The cut was nasty! I had to admit-Manik had some serious will power! Normal people would be afraid to move in this condition, and Manik had driven for hours.

"You don't have to do this..."I heard him say, as I wrapped the wound with gauze.

"Just SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I shouted. I had had it with his irresponsible behavior! Did he have a death wish?

He seemed absolutely dumbstruck at my sudden outburst.

"You don't get how serious this is! You could have died from blood-poisoning if I hadn't tended to you! Do you know what a painful death that is?" I asked, giving him an angry glare.

He shook his head in the negative.

"Then stop talking and let me do my job!" I said. My scolding seemed to have worked. He was relatively submissive for the rest of the process.

"It's done." I finally said, and removed my hand from his chest. He looked at the point on his chest, where my hand was placed, just a moment ago. From his expression, it seemed as if he felt himself incomplete without my hand on his heart.