Baseball

I can't believe this is actually happening. My favorite boys in black and orange are in the world series.

I was raised on baseball. Baltimore baseball, to be exact. Raised in a small suburb outside of Baltimore, my grandfather had always taken me to games at Memorial Stadium, and then Camden Yards when it was built in 1992. To this day, it's difficult to go to the Yard without thinking of him. He always dreamed of seeing another world series, as the last time the Birds won, was in 1983, far earlier than I was born.

Niall had been on tour for the past few months, and he finally got home last week. I'm thrilled to have him home, but he's invited a bunch of friends over and its game 5 of the World Series between my Birds and the Marlins and we've won 3 games and all we need is to win this game. Four wins and the title is ours. Watching from LA isn't ideal, but I'm happy he has the sports package from the cable company and I can watch it live.

Niall bursts into the room, laughing and leading a parade of drunk Irishmen behind him.

"Can you guys keep it down? We're tied in the 9th and all we need is one win. I'd like to hear this." I keep my focus on the screen, waving my hand at them in an attempt to shut them up.

"Ah, petal, its alright we just wanted to see what was happening." he chuckles sitting down next to me.

"You can stay, just.. shut up." I put my hands up next to my face so I can keep them from my view.

Niall scoots closer, if you can call it that, it's more like on top of me. I shove him over and his friends find seats around the rest of the room. A few minutes later and the game ends. Orioles 3 wins, Marlins 2. I put my head in my hands, as Niall rubs my back reassuringly.

"They'll get 'em tomorrow night, darlin', don't worry."

The next night, the Marlins win again. We're tied for the series 3 to 3. I am so excited for them for reaching this far, but fearful of them losing in the last game. There is a two day break and then the final game, game 7.

The day of the last game, I woke up alone. Niall usually isn't up early for a few weeks after tour. He doesn't plan anything or do much of anything. I get out of bed and throw on a hoodie that had been discarded next to the bed. I start to walk down the hall, when I can faintly hear him talking to someone. Getting closer, I pause.

"Yeah, 5:30...uh no...definitely...maybe six. Ten? Sure. Yeah it's a surprise....can't wait.. Thank you ma'am. See ya then."

I hear the phone being set down and walk to stand in the doorway of his office. He's sitting in his boxers at his desk, the laptop open away from me. He sees me and clicks a few things, closing the laptop and turning his phone around. "Hey, petal, I didn't hear ya come in. When did you wake up?"

''Just now, I was cold and wanted to see where you went. Why are you up so early?" I ask walking to his desk and leaning on the wood.

"Just needed to take care of something. Hey, I have a surprise for ya." he grips my hips and pulls me into his lap. I wrap my arms around his neck, kissing him on his cheek.

"Oh yeah?"

"yeah, I need ya to pack a bag for a few days. I wanna take you away."

"Can it wait for after the game tonight? I really want to see it." he chuckles at me, and kisses my neck.

"I promise you can watch the game. Just pack the bag, we leave in an hour."

"Wait what?"

He pushes me out of his lap, and stands up, dragging me back to the bedroom with him.