Chapter 20 - Just Focus!

Start from the beginning

"Gh..." Midorima looked away, annoyed that his theory had been proven right.

"Malnourished...?" Nelly looked at Shu. "But... Everyone gets fed, right?" She looked to Kudou.

"Of course." He nodded.

"Does anyone monitor him though?" The doctor asked. "How do you know this young man is eating enough? Because I can assure, whatever he eats now isn't enough."

"Why wouldn't Shu-ling eat...?" Midorima wondered.

"Will he be all right?" Nelly asked the doctor.

"If he starts eating properly, yes. Three meals a day, and plenty of water. If he doesn't, though, the consequences could be much worse than a fainting spell. Organ failure, for one."

"Shu-ling..." Midorima winced.

"He'll be free to leave when he wakes up." The doctor went on. "Make sure to monitor him. He needs to eat, but not too much at once. A steady increase up to normal portion size should get him back on his feet. Also, I've prescribed some vitamins." He handed a slip to Kudou. "The pharmacy downstairs will have them for you. Have him take two with every meal for a week."

"Thank you, Doctor." Kudou nodded.

"Take care." The doctor left the room.

"Sir?" Midorima looked up. "Would you know anything about why Shu-ling doesn't eat much?"

"I can't say I do." He shook his head. "...It may be linked to something from his background, but I can't disclose that information to you."

"Something in his background?" Nelly asked.

"...I understand." Midorima nodded. "Confidential information. That's fine. But at the very least, Sir, let me be the one who monitors Shu-ling."

"You sure you're up to it?"

"Yes." He adjusted his glasses. "I may not know what ails him, but I do know that I don't want to see him or any of my teammates like that again..." He thought back to how lifeless Shu had looked when he had collapsed.

"All right." Kudou agreed. "Tell me, Midorima... Why are you going out of your way for someone who is essentially little more than a stranger to you?"

"Why...?" Midorima sat up, aware that he was being issued a challenge. It may have sounded cold for Kudou to say, but the captain knew by now that everything he said had some meaning to it.

"Because... I'm done with being detached." Midorima said confidently. "Perhaps Shu-ling and the others were strangers to me at one time – but I don't want that to be the case anymore. I am a leader to them – but you can't always confide in a leader. You can, however, confide in a friend."

"You want to be Shu's friend?" Kudou was intrigued.

"Absolutely. As much as I want to be Carmello's friend, or Hikaru's friend."

"Not everyone will be open to that notion."

"I know. But I believe that the best way to break down walls is to extend a hand when it's needed." Midorima glanced at Nelly and she nodded.

"Good answer." Kudou smiled.

"Maybe... Just maybe, with kids like this..." The Coach thought to himself.

"Ugh..." Shu began to stir from his slumber.

"Shu-ling!" Midorima snapped to his side.

"Unhh... Wh... Where am I...?" He rubbed his eyes. Without his glasses, his vision was blurry.