Chapter Fourteen

Elena is back in hospital, on her father's insistence, Barbara has taken Robin home (Cat's are not allowed in the hospital no matter how big and scary they are), Dick sits curled up in an arm chair next to Elena's bed flicking his eyes from her to the tv on, she knows he's concerned about her, checking on her, she knows he feels it was his fault. But it's not. He did his best to save her, to stop them, but in the end it didn't matter. They got what they wanted, they got their punishment and now Elena is home, only a little worse for ware. She feels like she could sleep for months, she could still eat even though she's already filled up on fries, and she is desperate for a real drink. Unfortunately hospital rules and all that. Bad enough Robin isn't here. Bruce enters the room and moves to the seat at her other side, he takes her hand and kisses the back of it.

"Alfred is on his way" Bruce tells her. "He's bringing you a change of clothes and some toiletries" she nods a little blinking at him, tired. He squeezes her hand as the tv programme shifts into an emergency news broadcast, no doubt telling the world of their return.

"I see it didn't take Stark long" Dick grumbles as the press conference starts. Elena hums not really listening, too tired to really, she just wants to sleep.

........................

As Tony enters the Stark Industries lobby, struggling his way to the podium, he is followed by Obadiah. Tony gazes out over the reporters. Suddenly he seems vulnerable, scattered. The silence grows awkward.

...............

This silence causes Elena to look up at the tv.

.................

Obadiah is mercifully going to save Tony when;

"I...can't do this any more" Tony admits. There is a pregnant silence. Everyone waiting for the Stark punch-line. Finally, a Reporter ventures:

"You mean you're retiring?" He asks.

"No, I don't want to retire. I want to do something else" Tony admits. The room waits through more awkward silence.

"Something besides weapons?" A reporter asks.

"Yes. That's right" Tony states. The room is suddenly buzzing with overlapping questions.

"The official report was sketchy. What happened to you and Miss Wayne over there, Mr. Stark?"

..................

Elena holds her breath watching, Dick leans forward in his seat. Bruce eyes the screen cautiously

...................

Tony is pensive, he looks down slightly at his hand, sitting on his finger is a small bat shaped ring.

..................

24 hours earlier:

Tony walks into Elena's hospital room finding her half asleep in bed, she turns sensing him nearing.

"Hey" she breaths, he smiles at her.

"Hey, sweetheart" he offers. "What's the damage?" he asks.

"Gunshot" she offers dryly, he smiles. "Malnourished, exhausted, dehydrated....plus I have an infection, you know, the usual"

"You make it sound so everyday" he teases.

"Just another night on the town" she counters, he chuckles a little as she smiles.

"You ready to go home?" Tony asks sitting next to her, she hums a little and turns her head to him.

"Yeah, I am" she answers, he gives her a small smile and touches her arm, drawing his fingers down to hers where he laces his fingers with hers. "Are you?" she counters, he nods and looks to her, her eyes flickering to the ark reactor. "Is it still...?"